Working without appreciable supervision, has primary management responsibility directly or through subordinates for the manufacture of medical devices. Accountable for all performance metrics including quality, cost, and delivery. Responsible for the employment, training, motivation, counseling and discipline of employees supervised. Exercises sound judgment in planning and organizing work; monitors performance and reports status. Promotes the process of continuous quality improvement and coordinates solutions for technical/personnel issues. Identifies and routinely uses the most effective, cost efficient and best practices to execute processes; continually evaluates their effectiveness and appropriateness.
Impact this role will have on Abbott:
- Hires and retains a diverse, highly qualified staff and provides ongoing performance feedback. Sets goals which align to department plans and manages the execution of goals through coaching and mentoring. Maintains a safe and professional work environment.
- Reviews daily production schedules, determines priorities, and develops and communicates daily work plan to subordinate supervisors and production employees.
- Monitors the production output during each shift in comparison with the work plan. Analyzes cause(s) of shortfalls and implements changes to recover lost production before end of shift(s). Adjusts allocation of resources to meet objectives, and takes advantage of existing excess capacity to balance such resources. Investigates machine, material and process problems, and consults with Quality Assurance to attempt a resolution before the end of shift(s). Tracks work flow in and between departments to identify and resolve problems.
- Coordinates the implementation of process changes through consultation with Engineering, for familiarization and subsequent communication to affected line personnel.
- Establishes technical training strategies and plans toward implementation of such programs.
- Coordinates skills training for operators with Engineering and Quality Department staffs.
- Develops strategy for implementation of continuous improvement methodologies to increase quality and efficiency of individual work cell operations.
- Develops teaming and work-group interaction skills to ensure high levels of efficiency in work-cell operations.
- Remains current on developments in field(s) of expertise, applicable regulatory requirements, and a general knowledge of the company's products, markets, and objectives as well as industry trends (e.g. state of the art techniques in Engineering and Manufacturing; quality initiatives; FDA and/or International Organization for Standardization (ISO) requirements). Consults on and maintains an expert knowledge of current as well as novel technical advancements by reviewing literature, trade journals, remaining active in professional associations, and by attending conferences/seminars.
- Resolves and/or facilitates resolution of problems including identifying causes to prevent re-occurrence
Qualification and education:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Industrial Technology, a related field, or equivalent.
- Typically a minimum of six plus years of progressively more responsible experience in a biomedical electronics-manufacturing environment.
- A demonstrated working knowledge of appropriate domestic/international regulatory standards is also required.
- Requires in-depth familiarity with computerized inventory control and production control systems.
- Requires highly developed leadership skills/experience sufficient to assume the responsibilities of this management position, including the ability to map task interdependencies, multi-task, prioritize such tasks, meet deadlines, and develop, monitor and live within budgets as well as the demonstrated ability to forecast major milestones.
- Strong organizational, planning, and follow-up skills and ability to hold others accountable.
- Must be able to work cooperatively and productively with others.
- Knowledge and experience with Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)/ISO manufacturing practices, standard office business computing, and mfg. automation.
- Demonstrated verbal and written analytical/problem solving, communication, negotiation, interpersonal and presentation skills are essential.
- Documented record of delivering information that adds value to management's decision making process.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and comply with applicable FDA regulations and Company operating procedures, processes, policies, and tasks. Demonstrated personal computer skills including spreadsheet skills, word processing, data base management and other relevant applications.
- A relevant advanced degree in science, business or management (i.e., MA, MS, or MBA) is highly desirable.
- Professional certification or designation. Academic or in-house courses in project management, leadership, training, Continuous Improvement (CI), cycle time improvement, and various technical applications as noted above. Experience working in a broader enterprise/cross division business unit model preferred.
- Ability to work in a highly matrixed and geographically diverse business environment.
- Strong leadership skills, including the ability to set goals and provide positive and constructive feedback respectfully to build positive relationships and improve business results.