Symetra is a dynamic and growing financial services company with 60 years of experience and customers nationwide. In our daily work delivering retirement, employee benefits, and life insurance products, we're guided by the principles of VALUE, TRANSPARENCY AND SUSTAINABILITY. That means we provide products and services people need at a competitive price, we communicate clearly and honestly so people understand what they're getting, and we build products that stand the test of time. We work hard and do what's right for our customers, communities and employees. Join our team and share in our success as we work toward becoming the next national player in our industry.
The Life New Business Manager is responsible for providing leadership and overall oversight of new business operational team to ensure time standards, quality, efficiency and production goals are routinely met. The new business team consists of internal and external facing employees whose responsibilities are to proactively communicate and handle new business processing for assigned key relationships. Additionally the Life New Business Manager will develop strategies for continuous improvement and management of departmental relationships, efficiencies and procedures based on team performance, market requirements, and growth initiatives.
Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Supervise and provide direct oversight to team of Relationship Case Managers and/or Case Specialists:
- Accountable for managing daily workflow to meet department metrics including Service Level Agreements, productivity, and quality results.
- Responsible for making recommendations for maintaining appropriate staffing levels.
- Provide coaching, direction, and leadership support to team members in order to achieve employee, business, and customer results
- Provide team members with coaching, feedback, and developmental opportunities.
- Oversee training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and make effective staffing decisions. Build appropriate bench strength across the team.
- Ensure employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements. o Conduct and ensure completion of performance reviews.
- Challenge and inspire employees to achieve business results and motivating them through leadership and by celebrating successes.
Goal setting and relationship management:
- Partner with internal and external customers to proactively manage distribution relationships while providing stellar customer service.
- Define short-term goals and objectives for their work group while partnering with AVP, to define long-term goals and objectives for their work group.
- Effectively communicate unit/department/company goals
- Resolve escalated issues involving employees, customers and/or vendors.
- Anticipate potential issues; and analyzing, developing and implementing appropriate solutions.
- Represent the department on high profile special projects or initiatives and collaborate with internal teams.
- Work with Manager and/or Director to develop and manage budget and with unit planning.
- Develop an understanding of internal operations and how related teams interact to achieve results driving operational improvements, improving customer service, sharing best practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
Job Requirements Education Required: Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Minimum Years of Related Work Experience Required: 5 - 7 years' of management experience or equivalent combination of education and management experience.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Proven experience with workflow processes and demonstrated understanding of the importance of adherence to procedure and service level commitments.
- Able to direct change as needed in area of process management.
- Ability to develop an effective team by establishing a common cause and fostering a climate of innovation and collaboration.
- Proven experience in leadership of self-directed teams.
- Demonstrated ability to set up and communicate group goals that convey desired direction and course for staff. Proven record that goals are regularly achieved.
- Strong commitment to providing the highest levels of quality customer service with demonstrated ability to influence staff to provide the same.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects to successful completion, set priorities, delegate, follow up, and coach as needed.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Proven ability to accurately evaluate employee performance through effective writing and conducting of annual performance evaluations.
- Advanced conflict and resolution skills as demonstrated through successful resolution of customer concerns and complaints.
- Proven ability to set motivational atmosphere for staff.