Role: Manager, Internal Audit & Program Lead
Capacity: Permanent, full-time "employee" position with MorganFranklin Consulting (MFC) out of McLean, VA -
Location of position: Office-based role at Department of Veterans Affairs (Veterans Health Administration - VHA) - Please note that work location will vary between MFC HQ in McLean and client site in D.C.
Project: Starting up Internal Audit for the "first time" for VHA
Hire Velocity: Company hired to source and recruit from this position (our client is MFC)
Main requirements: Must have ability to obtain clearance and must have a CHA (Certified Healthcare Auditor) or a CPA. Requirements candidates must have are "bolded" under "Minimum Qualifications".
What Will You Do?
- Possess and apply comprehensive knowledge across key internal assurance functions to support the execution of an audit and management of risk for an organization providing one of the largest health care systems in the United States.
- Perform completion/execution of all audit steps, audit programs, and preparation of the auditreport.
- Apply understanding of Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS) and healthcareauditing principles. Assess auditing standards and common audit practices and techniques in context of organizational processes.
- Conduct analysis of clinical and business units, identifying areas of auditability to develop an organizational internal audit universe.
- Perform day-to-day, detailed test work required to achieve and support the audit objective, including performing statistical sampling, interviewing management to gain understanding of all client business, developing the audit protocol and plans, testing internal controls for effectiveness, and performing analytical and substantive procedures as deemed necessary.
- Support the development of criteria for the audit, detailing the requirements, materials, and personnel required to conduct the audit.
- Outline processes and plans for communications during the audit.
- Attend and participate in various site visits to conduct audit assessments of healthcare facilities. Lead audit teams in execution of site visit audit tasks and development of deliverables, managing execution of concurrent site visit work and requirements at times.
- Support the review and aggregation of all gathered data as required by the audit protocol and record findings.
- Report findings related to non-performance and weaknesses in internal control, helping to identify high risk areas that require process improvement.
- Support mitigation and resolution of identified audit issues.
- Function as a technical expert across multiple internal assurance projects and audit tasks. Review work products to ensure technical accuracy and deliverable quality.
- Maintain relationships and communicate with key client personnel to understand business operations, processes, and functions.
- Support the preparation of presentations, briefings, and status reports, and actively participate in client meetings and day-to-day interactions.
- Develop your expertise and experience as an internal audit advisor and consultant.
What Do You Need to Succeed?
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university in Accounting, Finance, Business, or Healthcare.
- Certified Healthcare Auditor (CHA) and/or Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
- Other certifications considered: Certified Professional Medical Auditor (by Advancing the Business of Healthcare organization), Certified Health Data Analyst (CHDA by AHIMA), Certified Documentation Improvement Practitioner (CDIP by AHIMA), and/or ISO9001 Certified Auditor considered.
- 8+ years of relevant experience, with 5+ years of experience auditing medium to large healthcare facilities.
- Strong understanding of and direct experienceapplying Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS), utilizing both the process based and compliance based approaches.
- Previous professional services experience and/or specific relevant industry job experience.
- Must be a U.S. citizen with ability to obtain security clearance.
- Willingness to travel up to 25% of the time.
- Prior independent auditing or internal audit/assurance experience in a Federal Agency.
- Experience with planning and/or standing up and establishing an internal audit/assurance function in a medium or large-scale organization.
- Experience with healthcare business process and healthcare system analysis, design, improvement, and implementation efforts.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs, including Visio and SharePoint.
- High level of enthusiasm for building a business, personal sense of urgency, and a capacity for overcoming obstacles.
- Commitment to providing exceptional client service. Dedicated to providing systematic assessment support to the client, strengthening oversight and accountability across facilities and helping the organization move to a more customer-centric model.
- Collaborative team-building skills, and outstanding written, communication, and presentation skills.
- Ability to build trust and quickly establish credibility across all levels of client organizations and with client stakeholders.