The future of Newell Brands and the on-going success of its consumer and commercial products depends on a continual stream of design excellence, collaborative ideation and resulting innovation.
Newell Brands is focused on building an innovation engine driven by our design and development vision within Newell Brands. The Design and Ideation teams have built strong partnerships with Marketing, Consumer Insights, and Research & Development in support of our efforts.
As we move forward, our goal is to continue to grow and mature the design teams to a deep commercial capability and consumer sensitivity while at the same time leveraging our talents and knowledge to respond to design based needs worldwide.
We believe that innovation comes from the minds of all Newell Brands employees as well as our customers and consumers. To that end, we actively stimulate collaboration, visualize opportunity and help propose product concepts that are offered up via both formal and informal methodologies throughout the company.
The Design team acts as ideation agents, continually driving to our goal of encouraging the development of better ideas and processes for growth.
Our world class design teams are located in three primary state of the art hubs that include Kalamazoo Michigan, Chicago Illinois and Hoboken New Jersey. These creative centers have been carefully planned to foster creativity and maximize the sharing of ideas and technologies among the company’s brands and process partners.
Due to our continued growth, the Design and Ideation group at Newell is seeking talented individuals who want to join our team and help lead us into the future. To learn more about the Design team at Newell Brands please visit Design and Ideation - Newell Brands.
There’s never been a more exciting time to join Newell Brands!
This person will conceptualize and develop new products that improve the lives of our customers. In this role you will manage teams, lead and contribute to all aspects of Industrial Design. Collaborating closely with cross-functional teams and building relationships to create customer experiences for the next generation of products.
- Conceptualize and develop new products having a high level of difficulty and complexity
- Proven ability to lead and direct the convergence of one or more final design approaches within cross functional teams
- Ability to develop programs that require direct contact with consumers and end users via interviews and observational studies. Versed in research techniques and methodologies
- Work closely with Engineering to develop product specifications and validate prototypes.
- Mentor for entire Design Team and serves as a trusted advisor to the Segment business teams on Design Process and Techniques. Managing and coaching people.
- Proven track record of converting broader consumer insights into innovative design solutions. Application across a multitude of media demonstrating market success.
- Create captivating work environment. Regularly conduct employee reviews and personal development plans
- Perform other duties as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design
- Ten years + of relevant experience in corporate or consulting design
- Ability to travel at least once per quarter
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrate ability to work in team environments
- Ability to present in English.
- Design Fundamentals: (Fully Operational) Strong capability in drawing, rendering, form development, color and materials theory, mechanicalengineering and model building.
- Surface Development (Fully Operational) Able to sketch in analog both digital mediums that clearly depict an understanding of surface. Able to model in CAID/CAD complex surface patches required to depict design intent.
- Study Models (Fully Operational) Demonstrates a capability to build appropriate 3D study models to test product feasibility, volumetric, function, spatial interaction, aesthetics and scale.
- Feasibility Engineering (Fully Operational) Fully capable of understanding product feasibility requirements. Pursues the studio engineering teams for feedback and advise.
- Visual Communications: (Fully Operational) Demonstrates ability to explain and persuade business partners on the appropriateness of a design solution via effective visual communications technique.
- Digital Design Tools (Fully Operational) Proficient in the Adobe Creative Suite, Keyshot. Alias, Rhino or similar NURBS based software. CAD capability in Solidworks, or CREO.
- Interface Design (Fully Operational) Ability to design and propose digital information interfaces into products.
- Industrial Design Research: (Working Knowledge) Professional experience conducting observational research within the context of design concept development projects.
- Materials and Methods: (Working Knowledge) Knowledge of tooling constraints and associated design limitations.
- Solid Modeling: (Working Knowledge) Basic experience building various levels of concept models from paper and foam to hi-rezsurface models. Must be comfortable in all rapid 3D mediums.
- Human Factors (Working Knowledge).Ability to use study models to appropriately design to scale and usability constraints.
Job ID 1703171.