Manager, Individual Life Underwriting
The Manager, Individual Life Underwriting, under supervision of the Vice President of Underwriting, is
responsible for actively managing a successful Life Underwriting Team according to established goals and
The Manager, Life Underwriting provides leadership and direction to the team and assists the
department AVP/VP in developing and implementing sound strategic plans to achieve and maintain the
highest level of customer service. The Manager, Individual Life Underwriting proactively works to enhance
the efficiency and effectiveness of the entire life underwriting process.
* Facilitate the sales process by ensuring reasonable and timely underwriting decisions in accordance
with Company practices, standards and guidelines.
* In conjunction with the AVP/VP, manage life underwriting personnel to include creating and
maintaining employees’ job descriptions; recruiting and interviewing applicants; training and
mentoring team; enforcing company policies; conducting employee performance and salary reviews;
retaining, disciplining and terminating, in conjunction with HR, as necessary.
* Audits, underwrites and oversees policy issuance of, with manager approval authority, an assigned
application caseload, referrals, appeals, complaints and problem claim files to include the larger
or more complex life insurance applications within guidelines set for the issuance of policies on a
standard (or better) substandard or modified basis.
*Discuss and/or review cases with Underwriters or AVP/VP as needed.
* Foster communication by holding monthly section meetings and attending departmental meetings,
departmental management meetings and Officer/Manager meetings.
* Manage and maintain positive relationships with and underwriting activities between the individual
life underwriting team, field underwriting and field sales force.
* Ensure compliance with MIB rules and perform MIB transactions to include requests for code
details, disclosure, disputed accuracy, self-audits and follow-up MIB hits.
* Recommend and implement approved changes to training manuals, processes, procedures and
underwriting strategies with respect to Life products, to foster prompt, accurate and cost effective
processing of business.
* Consult with management of other departments to ensure proper compliance with regulations and
processes, in addition to outlining underwriting practices during implementation of new products or
to assist AVP/VP with product development.
* Attend industry meetings/seminars and continuing education programs as appropriate; also, in
conjunction with the AVP/VP, prepare and deliver underwriting presentations at business meetings.
* Adhere to the individual life insurance operational plan and budget and, as assigned, assist AVP/VP
with both annual preparation and ongoing, monthly budget variance explanations.
* Demonstrate leadership and enthusiasm by serving on departmental and company committees as
* Assume additional responsibilities or special projects as needed
* Bachelor’s degree* required – preferably in Insurance, Risk Management, Accounting, Finance or
* Minimum 2 years of management/leadership experience required
* Minimum 4 years of progressive insurance industry experience preferably within life underwriting
* Industry education designation (FLMI, FALU, CLU etc.) or course work completion strongly preferred
* Strong service oriented work ethic to understand, anticipate and satisfy customer business needs
* Strong communication (written and verbal), analytical, organizational and problem solving skills
* Demonstrate integrity, leadership, a positive attitude, sound judgment and attention to detail
* Self-directed with the ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment while under pressure to
* Self-motivated with the ability to learn on your own to supplement training provided
* Ability to learn quickly, adapt to change and work independently
* Work well in a team environment, excelling both individually and collectively
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook)
*Bilingual proficiency a plus
*College or university must be sufficiently accredited and listed in the U.S. Department of Education