Responsible for managerial oversight of immigration services provided to facilitate the enrollment and/or employment of international students, scholars and staff and to ensure institutional compliance with related federal regulations. Responsible for the direct supervision of immigration staff.
- Administers all phases of J-1 Exchange Visitor Program, H-1B temporary Worker Visa process, and other non-immigrant and immigrant visa related service functions for foreign students, faculty, staff and employees.
- Prepares written information for inclusion in the Human Resources website, electronic mailings, and handouts. Develops and streamlines processes; creates SOP’s for immigration processes.
- Conducts ongoing training to ensure institutional compliance with immigration and I-9/E-Verify regulations and non-resident tax reporting policies and procedures.
- Develops and implements international scholar orientations, professional presentations and workshops on immigration and U.S. taxation compliance issues.
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with foreign nationals, sponsoring departments, and other administrative departments to ensure awareness of regulations affecting visa sponsorship, documentation and related requirements.
- Maintains regular contact with outside immigration attorneys to discuss appropriate legal strategies and coordinate the preparation and filing of immigrant visa petitions and permanent residence applications on behalf of foreign national employees.
- Makes discretionary decisions regarding the interpretation and implementation of USCIS, DOL, and Department of State DOS and SSA regulations as they relate to individual cases and accounts.
- Manages maintenance of I-9 employment verification and U.S. tax exemption files for foreign nationals. Serves as the E-Verify Federal Contractor Program Administrator. Ensures timely electronic verification of contract employees' employment eligibility.
- Manages the implementation of visa sponsorship policies and filing procedures pursuant to federal and state regulations and develops related systems to ensure continuous institutional compliance.
- Serves as a subject matter expert to faculty and staff members regarding complex immigration matters; answers non-routine visa sponsorship questions and resolves related problems.
- Bachelor's Degree in related field
Approximately 3 years of related work experience, including at least 2 years of experience with J-1 and /or H-1B visa processing in a corporate or academic setting.
Experience with cloud-based immigration case management software.
Minimum 2 years’ experience in a supervisory role in an immigration setting.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Familiar with word processing and spreadsheet software, preferably Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, verbal, written and communication skills.
- Highly organized and work with minimum supervision.
- Demonstrated leadership and mentoring skills to effectively manage and develop staff members.
Licenses and Certifications
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
Must be able to work overtime as needed, which includes retrieving and responding to messages (via E-mail and/or telephone ) during off-hours-evenings, holidays, etc. Occasional overnight travel to attend immigration workshops and conferences.