This position provides leadership to a staff of direct reports in Group, Individual or VWB operating units. The position is responsible forcomplex/multi-functionedwork assignments and/or projects that typically involve the integration of multi-functions, multi-products, and/or multi-locations on a continuous, ongoing basis as a permanent part of the job. This position uses business expertise and effective decision-making and negotiation skills to implement strategic direction through strong tactical management.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages more than one function or area on a regular basis. Additional complexity and breadth contribute to the overall accountability of the job.
- Leadership of a diverse team, including all aspects of people management, selection, training, resource capacity, job design and performance management that creates a high-performance operating environment.
- Ensures quality, audit and control standards through the development of effective standards, policies, education and creative training programs.
- Develops workflow to meet specialized needs to ensure that appropriate service and financial levels are met at all times.
- Manages internal and external customer expectations through project planning and partnering efforts throughout the corporation.
- Provides leadership and direction to project teams who have are involved with projects specific to the operational area.
- Communicates project strategies and status to all impacted parties.
- Meets challenges head-on by the efficient and timely development, identification, and implementation of new strategies, solutions and opportunities for improved service standards.
- Coordinates training, staffing and system changes as dictated by project plans.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- College degree preferred plus 5-7 years of increasingly responsible management experience
- Proven ability to make sound business decisions and deliver results
- Solid understanding of the service needs and financial impact to service levels
- Demonstrated experience in motivation, team building and collaboration
- Strong interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills – both written and verbal
- Strong project management, leadership and organization skills
- Solid understanding of the budget and salary administration processes, and the impact of each to productivity, morale and service levels
- Overall knowledge of business workflow within Unum in general, and functional area(s) in particular