Manages the Fresh product sourcing and negotiation strategy as the lead point of contact with the assigned category supplier base. Responsible to negotiate costs, business terms, service level thresholds, new item cost negotiation, Supply Chain interaction, NFR coordination, logistical coordination, contract management, and overall collaboration with Category teams across all five Great Local Brands and Peapod. Responsible for developing and managing annual RFP calendar and Synergy savings targets. This position is responsible for channeling and analyzing all cost changes to be deemed warranted or unwarranted and must then negotiate resolution across all impacted brands to align on a response. This position is an integral part of the vendor transition process, managing discontinued items, providing residual product liabilities, transition dates and overall transition direction. Also responsible for enforcing any/all contract clauses/issues as related to the supplier partners. The role will project savings impact for all COGS-savings initiatives and is responsible for evaluating actual performance versus projections. This position requires the ability to understand how to interpret Commodity Market impacts and partner with the Commodity Strategists on relevant impacts to current contracts and/or upcoming RFPs. Responsible for collaborating across all Great Local Brands to drive ‘East Coast Event’ sales-driving discussions, evaluating and negotiating supplier proposals, assisting Category Management teams to develop plans to execute, and evaluating the success/outcome. The role requires a strong track record of success and the ability to lead, build consensus, and drive discussions around innovation at the Category Manager level and above. Role will partner with Category Managers across all Great Local Brands within assigned categories in a multi-state operation, consisting of 5 brick and mortar chains with over 2,000+ stores, plus e-commerce operations.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Fresh Growth
Drives synergy savings, while guaranteeing quality products and a reliable vendor service level
• Works with the Category teams across all Brands to deliver the Fresh Category strategy at the Category level ensuring the brand integrity is upheld.
• Represents all brands in Vendor business meetings with suppliers to negotiate costs, performance metrics, long-range plans and collaborative opportunities.
• Accountable to monitor/oversee and influence all vendor-level aspects related to Fresh across all Brands, including but not limited to product quality, service level thresholds and financial performance.
• Responsible for collaborating with the Category teams, Supply Chain, and NFR/Pkg to align and execute Fresh Category business plans and targets involving COGs, product availability, impact to stores, and consumer satisfaction.
2. Fresh Category Strategy
Development of Annual Sourcing Calendar which supports any/all Fresh Category business plans which are consistent with the total overall Category goals and strategies
• Develops Fresh annual RFP strategy across all Great Local Brands at the Category level.
• Remains key point of contact between the vendor community and the Brands as it pertains to contract enforcement.
• Provides category insights into vendor capabilities, global vendor identification, commodity and market updates across any/all assigned areas.
• Helps with the development innovation across assigned categories and responds to the new ideas and latest trends in order to meet or exceed the assigned Brand’s shopper expectations.
• Exudes a high degree of credibility and the ability to work with and through all levels of management (Product Management and Category Management).
3. Fresh Product Development and Renovation
Collaborates with Category Managers with the development and introduction of new Fresh items to provide a full line of innovative and differentiated products
• Works with PB Innovation and Product Excellence teams, as well as strategic supplier partners, to research and identify new product development opportunities, to help provide to the innovation pipeline.
• Sources new Fresh products that meet consumer needs while offering the highest competitive value.
• Collaborates with all Brand’s Category teams to ensure support of new item product launches.
• Attends Trade Shows relevant to assigned department/categories:
o PLMA (Private Label Marketing Association)
o Natural Food and Marketing Expo East and West
o Fancy Food Show
4. Fresh Plan Execution
Ensures effective and efficient execution of Fresh portfolio activities at the Brands
• Facilitates new item introductions and deletions, vendor switches and contract enforcement
• Maintains global manufacturing capability surveillance and develops plans to maintain and/or gain competitive advantages. Requirements Basic Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and related work experience
• 6+ years of related Sourcing, Negotiating, Category, & vendor management experience
Skills and Abilities:
• Category knowledge and expertise
• Detailed knowledge of category financial drivers
• Mastery of Microsoft suite
• Strong communication & presentation skills (verbal and written)
• Ability to interpret and react to syndicated data reports (e.g. Nielson, EYC, etc.)
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Excellent facilitation skills
• Proven ability to influence without authority
• Solid conflict management skills
• Category budgeting experience
• Ability to influence and collaborate across multiple business areas
• Ability to adapt and drive change
• Ability to motivate others
• Active listener
• Strategic planning at the Category level
• Customer focus
• Attention to detail
• Knowledge of industry and suppliers
• Category Management experience
• Ability to manage multiple priorities with aggressive (and sometimes competing) deadlines
Job Number 18-070382