WFXR-TV/WWCW-TV in beautiful Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA is seeking a News Production Manager. This is a great opportunity to be part of an evolving news team. Our state of the art studio facility and control room are only two years old and boast the latest technology. The ideal candidate will be able to operate, and educate others in all facets of production. This will include audio, camera operation, lighting, graphics, directing and technical directing in studio as well as in remote productions. Successful candidate must be able to fluently direct a live news production and must exude professionalism, reliability and good judgement.
Southwest Virginia is home to numerous universities and colleges, including Virginia Tech and their highly acclaimed NCAA Division I athletics program. The picturesque communities are situated in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains and near several major metropolitan areas, including Washington, DC and Charlotte, NC.
WFXR is home to the region's only 10:00 pm newscast and the only local newscast from 5:00 to 9:00 am. Now we are ready to grow and serve the viewers of Southwest Virginias like never before. This is a career building opportunity as we look forward to future expansions and establishing this award-winning news operation. Only two years into operation we have an established team that are ready to learn and grow.
The News Production Manager is responsible for providing timely technical operations support and management oversight for news broadcasts and other live and recorded programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages all aspects of the production operations department.
- Plans and manages staffing, training, and performance evaluations for the production operations department, including control room and studio (non-talent) personnel.
- Schedule all news production crew shifts.
- Insures that staffing levels are cost effective and sufficient to meet the needs of the station.
- Makes decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, promotion and termination of employees.
- Ensures station compliance with FCC broadcast rules and regulations.
- Monitors broadcasts to ensure that programs conform to station quality standards, policies and regulations.
- Manages the use of studio and editing resources.
- Trains employees in the use of equipment such as switchers, cameras, monitors, microphones and lights.
- Acts as a liaison between the engineering, news and production operations departments as needed.
- Performs various production duties when necessitated by employee absence or other exigent circumstances.
- Maintains studio and control room equipment.
Requirements and Skills:
- Technical degree in Digital Electronics, Broadcasting, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work related experience.
- Fluency in English with excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Minimum five years experience with digital electronics systems in a television broadcasting environment, with at least two years experience in a leadership role.
- Experience guiding, directing and motivating subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
- Strong PC/MS Office experience.
- Experience with broadcast equipment and production environments, including cameras, control boards, audio equipment, lighting and editing systems.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.