Industry: Accounting, Finance & Insurance•
5 - 7 years
Posted 84 days ago
The Manager I, Global and Business Services Audit is responsible for the execution of audit engagements, which includes planning, developing the project’s scope, maintaining the budget and timeframes of the project to meet audit requirements, and ensuring department Standards are properly met. The role is a direct report to an Audit Manager II and is responsible for their assigned staff's performance management process and recruiting and retention of staff for the audit team. The Manager I, Global and Business Services Audit provides input to improve operational efficiency and/or to enhance the design or operating effectiveness of the internal control environment. The role provides technical expertise and performs supervisor related work including training new employees or those with lesser experience, reviewing work of others, and providing regular feedback and coaching to employees. Assisting the Manager II in interacting with Regulators, Senior and Executive management, evaluation of risk areas, and ensuring that resources are properly aligned to auditable areas.
The Global and Business Services Audit Team is responsible for risk assessment, continuous monitoring, project planning, execution, and issue validation focused on Northern Trust core banking (i.e., loans and deposits) and asset servicing (i.e., custody) operations. With this focus, team members have the opportunity develop views towards enterprise risks across global processes and key technologies, drive thought leadership in assessing fraud risks and controls, and create data analytics strategies to increase assurance effectiveness. Team members are encouraged to build authentic relationships, think creatively and challenge the status quo, seek emerging trends and develop an insightful point-of-view, and hold themselves accountable in a flexible and delivery driven culture.
- Functions in various roles on audit engagements, including leading audits, staffing audits and providing consulting or oversight functions based on the needs of the team.
- Provides technical expertise to the Global and Business Services Audit Team and uses sound audit practices.
- Maintains familiarization and technical expertise with the assigned business unit(s) including organizational structure, personnel, activities and products, new product development, financial performance and risk and problem areas.
- Responsible for staying current on regulatory rules and changes within the industry.
- Interacts and partners with Senior and Executive Management to understand the risks within the business, business changes and other significant events that could significantly affect the business and/or the audit plan.
- Manages and performs special projects as assigned.
- Participates in meetings with business unit to discuss audit results.
- Communicates with partners at all levels, developing and presenting recommendations on operations and controls for the business unit.
- During audit engagements, assigns work to auditors, sets priorities and monitors activity.
- Conducts the performance management process for direct reports. Oversees the performance management process and ensures that Audit Managers are identifying training and development needs for their respective audit teams.
- Utilizes understanding of various Corporate units to ensure operations, services, and systems have proper audit controls in place (i.e., design of the control environment).
- Reviews audit work including work paper documentation, findings and recommendations and the final report to ensure appropriate adherence to the Corporation’s/Department’s Policies and Standards and ensuring work is performed within established timeframes.
- Evaluates corporate management, business processes, business controls and operating practices during audits and consulting/monitoring engagements.
- Applies analytical skills to review information and determine potential control weaknesses.
• Knowledge of auditing in the financial services industry and basic accounting principles and related work experience
• Professional certifications (e.g., CPA, CISA, CIA, ACA, ACCA) and/or an MBA along with demonstrated technical abilities in select areas (e.g., accounting, regulatory compliance, etc.) are preferred
• Strong analytical, leadership, and organizational skills are needed
• Strong report writing and work paper documentation skills
• Six or more years of progressive auditing experience in the financial sector, in conjunction with relevant operational process testing design experience, is preferred
• A College or University degree and/or entry level auditing experience in a financial institution is preferred
• Adept auditing and/or systems experience in a financial institution, or similar public accounting experience in the financial services industry