• This newly created HR management position will provide comprehensive management support and guidance in the areas of HR policy administration, recruitment & staffing, organizational development & training, compensation administration, benefits, discipline & performance counseling, affirmative action efforts, investigations, employee relations in non-union facilities, and labor relations at union represented facilities.
• This position will manage a team of three HR Generalists and one HR Coordinator/Admin Support in addition to supporting a small client group at a union represented facilities
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Ensure effective communication and administration of company policies, procedures, programs, changes and related issues.
- Job requires critical thinking and the ability to manage competing priorities in order to meet the needs of client groups
- Provide guidance to client group management to promote and maintain a positive employer / employee relationship, and maintain a union-free status at non-union represented facilities
- Use effective conflict resolution techniques to solve employee / supervisor and employee / employee problems with minimal supervision. Includes counseling management and building consensus on complex and sensitive issues.
- Guide management and team in the application and interpretation of policies, compensation practices, benefits, performance issues, equal employment opportunity, affirmative action and disability leave management
- Proactively guide management responsible for union represented facilities in the application and administration of union contracts and agreements, including grievance administration
- Advise management on appropriate staffing, compensation and benefits issues.
- Facilitate and conduct training on a variety of HR initiatives
- Conduct or participate in ethics and other employee investigations, develop final reports and manage solutions to the problems identified
- Utilize workforce planning tools to plan for staffing needs and knowledge transfer for key roles.
- Anticipated travel locally: 10-15% (local travel in vehicle only)
- Other related duties as assigned
Expected competencies, skills, and abilities:
• Subject matter expert with ability to explain to managers and employees the fundamentals of KM’s recruiting and selection techniques, compensation and benefits, payroll administration, recordkeeping, performance management, HR policies, state and federal employment law, FLSA and state wage and hour laws.
• Proven experience in supporting Managers in union contracts, administering a labor relations contract and contract negotiations, including handling and administering grievances.
- Demonstrated ability to partner with corporate client groups and senior executives to develop HR strategies and deliver HR services to support business goals and objectives
- Proven experience in delivering HR solutions
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams
- Strong collaboration skills
- Results oriented
- Proven experience resolving employee/supervisor conflicts
- Experience developing and delivering training programs
- Strong analytical skills
- Proven ability to develop meaningful reports and analyses using excel
- Experience in developing predictive models for workforce planning
- Ability to work in a face paced environment and easily adapt to change
- Proven ability to advocate for change and lead others through change and transition
- Demonstrated ability to influence and provide creative and flexible solutions to issues
- Experience conducting complex and sensitive ethics and other employee investigations and negotiating settlements as appropriate
- Experience mentoring and coaching leaders, peers, and new employees
- Ability to understand financial concepts as they apply to the company, business unit and department
- Ability to think strategically, make sound business decisions, and understand the business model and economics of Kinder Morgan
- The ability to develop and assist others in developing and delivering HR related training to client groups
• Bachelor’s degree in HR, Business Administration, or related field. A non-related degree would be acceptable with additional HR experience.
• Minimum of 7-10 years’ experience as an HR generalist supporting corporate and field client groups
• Minimum of 5+ years’ experience supporting a union represented facility
• Minimum of 3+ years’ experience in an HR management role
- Demonstrated ability to clearly and concisely frame up issues so that options are developed and timely solutions are implemented, with minimal supervision
- Comprehensive understanding of HR and willingness to learn and understand the business they support in order to assist frontline supervisors and managers in finding solutions within a challenging and complex environment
- General familiarity with state and federal labor and employment law with requirements to equal employment opportunity, wage & hour and disability leave management
- Familiarity with payroll administrative procedures
- Familiarity with applicant tracking and HRIS systems (Lawson or PeopleFluent experience a plus)
- Ability to counsel managers and employees on performance guidelines and expectations with minimal assistance
- Strong analytical skills and logical thought processes, with the ability to identify and resolve complex and sensitive HR issues/problems
- Demonstrated ability to work with all levels of the organization
- Aptitude and interest in developing into First Chair in labor negotiations; prior experience a plus
- Ability to develop and professionally deliver training presentations using PowerPoint or similar software
- Ability to conduct, organize and participate in various employee investigation situations, assemble a final report and manage solutions to the problems identified with minimal assistance and within expected time frame
- Ability to work with a team, take direction from supervisor(s), prioritize work schedule, focus attention on details and follow work rules
- Ability to organize, multi-task, prioritize work, and maintain strict confidentiality
- Above average proficiency in the use of Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Must be able to connect and engage in a very hands on and visible fashion to effect change and results
- Strong relationship building skills are critical
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to perform the required duties with little or no direct supervision
- Maintain a regular, dependable attendance, and high level of performance.
- Ability to speak and understand English
Certifications, licenses, registrations:
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license and have and maintain an acceptable driving record to be insured to drive for the Company.
- Currently possess, or have the ability to obtain and maintain a TransportationWorkers Identification Credential (TWIC Card)
- Professional HR Certification is desired, but not required
- Willingness to use personal and/or company vehicle in the course of employment
- The successful candidate will be required to clear a drug test screen and a complete background check, after an offer has been extended and prior to being employed
• The incumbent must be dependable and have the ability to work under pressure while meeting critical time frames to complete projects. This is primarily an office environment requiring occasional travel to field Terminal locations.
• Ability to be on call 24/7
• This position must maintain the highest degree of confidentiality, discretion and the ability to handle and complete multiple tasks/projects. Must be self-motivated and demonstrate a high degree of initiative
Preferred education,experience, certifications, competencies, skills, and abilities above the minimum requirements; notrequiredbut advantageous in this position:
- Prefer SPHR and/or additional certifications in compensation or benefits.
- Prefer five or more year’s HRexperience in the oil and gas, pipeline or terminals businesses.
- Fluent in Spanish preferred, but not required
Job ID #: 17819