Description: Provides strategic direction, leadership and overall management oversight of Health Information Management (HIM) functions in a multi-facility setting with multiple departments, including scanning, and release of information functions. Responsible for developing and maintaining effective policies, procedures, systems and working relationships with other departments and medical centers, Regional HIM, providers, external attorneys, regulatory and other reporting entities as well as Revenue Cycle and Quality/Risk.
- Manages HIM operations in order to ensure quality and/or quantity goals are met. Identifies, coordinates, and implements projects and/or programs to improve the quality and cost-effectiveness of HIM operations. Ensures projects are completed on schedule following established procedures and schedules. Estimates personnel needs and assigns work to meet completion dates. Reviews department performance. Ensures compliance with department and organization policies and procedures.
- Manages, coordinates and provides leadership to the HIM supervisor and staff. Provides training, coaching, and professional development. Interviews and recommends candidates for employment or termination. Conducts performance evaluations for assigned staff. Resolves grievances.
- Compiles, analyzes, and submits HIM operational reports and statistics on employee and department performance especially key performance indicators. Takes appropriate corrective actions as necessary and works in collaboration with Regional HIM Mgmt.
- Monitors operational and system issues and resolves as required. Performs system administration working closely with KPIT or KPHC on system maintenance and enhancements. Performs periodic review of user system access as required.
- Ensures compliance with Health Information Management requirements mandated by The Joint Commission (TJC), (National Committee on Quality Assurance (NCQA), Title 22, Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS), federal and state laws and regulations, medical staff by-laws, and regional and local policies and procedures.
- Facilitates the Labor Management Partnership (LMP) through a well-functioning Unit Based Team (UBT). Participates in labor negotiations and discussions relating to operations and staff.
- Attends and participates in local and regional meetings. Participates and/or leads local committees, workgroups and taskforces.
- Minimum five (5) years of related HIM and/or revenue cycle experience.
- Experience of HIM operations, policies and regulations and knowledge of HIM operations, policies and regulations.
- Experience conducting training programs.
- Experience with budget management.
- Three (3) years of experience supervising a multidisciplinary staff of non-exempt and entry level and exempt employees with a BA degree, OR four (4) years of experience supervising a multidisciplinary staff of non-exempt and entry level and exempt employees with an AA degree.
- Bachelor's degree in allied health, health information management (HIM) or other related field OR associate's degree with two (2) years of HIM management experience.
License, Certification, Registration
- Registered Health Information Administration (RHIA) OR
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) credential.
- Proficient in a variety of software applications.
- Ability to effectively coordinate multiple projects, use time management skills and independent judgment.
- Ability to adapt to shifting priorities; team player, tactful and diplomatic.
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills required to communicate effectively with all levels of management internal/external.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Extensive experience with electronic health record (EHR) and other technological advances in health information and healthcare preferred.
- Master's degreepreferred.