The Manager, Healthcare Strategy & Research will help drive Net Operating Income (NOI) by providing meaningful and insightful market intelligence in support of income preserving and generating strategies for Ventas's Healthcare and Office asset portfolio (approximately 460 properties, $1B in Net Operating Income).
Located in Chicago, the primary goal of this position is to develop insights on healthcare industry, policy, market and providers to identify opportunities and risks for the Healthcare and Medical Office portfolios. Sectors of focus within the healthcare industry will include service providers, and in particular, care providers such as acute and specialty hospitals, outpatient and post-acute settings, medical office, and many others. Success means that recommendations from work will drive meaningful NOI impact once implemented.
The Manager will work in partnership primarily with Healthcare and Office Asset Management. Additionally, the role will interact with other internal teams such as Acquisitions, Financial Planning & Analysis, Investor Relations, and Property Management and Leasing.
- Lead benchmarking of REIT competitors and healthcare operators, including public earnings coverage, for four sectors of assets within the Healthcare portfolio
- Create and maintain system to receive, organize and digest key industry, policy and market events
- Maintain and continually enhance market tracker used to inform Healthcare team and senior leadership of relevant recent industry/market/public policy events and themes
- Synthesize and communicate key industry, policy and market events to maintain sector theses
- Develop deep understanding of best Operators in best markets
- Project future overall portfolio performance in assistance with Asset Management teams, while leveraging industry/competitor/market analysis, in efforts to proactively spot risk
- Ongoing enhancements to proprietary Ventas asset management software ("VAMS")
- Other special and ad hoc projects as assigned by the VP, Asset Management
- Presentations to Senior Leadership
- Develop and prepare written materials (memos and presentations)
- Structure business cases for portfolio investments
- Maintain best practices by coordinating frequently with Senior Living Strategy & Research team
- Provide guidance and mentor Research Analyst(s)
- 5+ years of experience in Management Consulting, Corporate Strategy, Private Equity or related industries, experience in healthcare is a requirement
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Economics, Accounting, Real Estate or similar business field required.
- Strategic thinking and problem solving
- Knowledge and interest in healthcare industry is key
- Ability to determine appropriate data needs, draw insights, and develop recommendations
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to synthesize complex problems and facilitate decision making. Self-motivated and team-oriented; ability to work collaboratively across functions and departments
- Strong understanding of financial statements (Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow) and ability to make recommendations to improve financial results.
- Experience in writing Business Cases is a plus. Ability and desire to work in a deadline-oriented environment with competing priorities
- Intellectually curious – a quick learner who combines previous professional and personal experiences to offer new ideas and approaches to the business
- Bias for action; strong initiative and results orientation.
- Track record of generating results from multi-functional projects
- Experience with dashboards and visualization tools (i.e., Tableau)
- Travel up to 25% of the time