As a Manager, Environmental Health & Safety for John Deere in Waterloo, IA, you will manage environmental, health, and/or safety for multiple large, complex units. You will ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations/laws and company standards while providing support and guidance in the development, justification, and installation of new processes, facilities, and projects.
In addition, you will:
- Manage the medical and occupational health departments.
- Develop and manage departmental budget.
- Prepare strategic and tactical plans as required to meet goals established by the company, unit, and/or division.
- Manage unit occupational health department and provide direction and oversight for unit medical professionals.
- Provide EHS leadership and information to multiple unit managers and EHS committees. Be a liaison with external regulatory agencies, EHS suppliers, and other EHS organizations.
- Prepare a program of and participates in periodic audits and inspections of multiple units or facilities and equipment; identify potential EHS problems and recommends and manages corrective measures.
- Plan, design, implement and evaluate environmental, health, and/or safety management programs and processes to ensure compliance with all appropriate laws and regulations including the environmental management system and/or safety and health management system.
- Maintain current EHS professional/technical knowledge and competence through seminars, meetings, and technical journals; review new/changed regulatory requirements and implements change management activities to comply with same.
Visa sponsorship is NOT available for this position.
What Skills You Need
- 8 or more years of experience in Environmental Health and Safety in a manufacturing or industrial environment
- Experience with governmental/agency regulatory requirements or legislation, occupational health principles, occupational safety programs and ergonomic principles, with the ability to apply to workplace environments
- Skill in interpersonal communications, negotiation, and conflict resolution
- Experience managing employees
- Experience with legal issues affecting the area of responsibility
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes and factory operations
- Experience with legal and compliance issues governing a process or set of processes
- Ability to influence management and external constituencies
- Ability to travel domestically and/or internationally up to 25%
What Makes You Stand Out
- Strong people skills and willingness to work with employees in different functional areas
- Experience with Environmental Management Systems (ISO14001 or equivalent)
- Proven history of delivering sustainable safety improvements
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) designation
Ideally, you will have a degree or equivalent work experience in the following:
- Bachelor's degree in Environmental Engineering, Chemistry, Occupational Health & Safety, Engineering or related discipline