Role Context and Challenges
A global information solutions company is seeking a state government affairs professional to join its global government affairs team. The mission of the global government affairs team is to protect the company’s businesses from harmful public policy initiatives and to support business development opportunities. The candidate will have primary responsibility for identifying and addressing legislative and regulatory threats in seven Northeast states (CT, ME, MA, NH, NY + NYC, RI, VT). Priority issues include: information policy, privacy, data security, access to government records, health information technology, insurance, scientific publishing and related issues. The candidate will also be responsible for working with the sales teams on business development initiatives and help pursue new and renewal government-funded business opportunities. The candidate will be based in a state capitol within the region, and will report to the Managing Director, State Government Affairs.
The Manager, State Government Affairs, Northeast Region will be part of a global government affairs team and will be responsible for meeting objectives in the Northeast region of the United States to further the mission of the team as a whole. To meet these responsibilities, the candidate must work closely with legal and business representatives to identify potential business opportunities and threats and develop and implement effective strategies to pursue identified business opportunities and minimize or eliminate any legislative or regulatory threats.
The candidate will interact with external organizations, including trade associations and coalitions and leverage support from those organizations to achieve the company’s public goals and objectives. The successful candidate will develop and implement effective advocacy strategies on priority issues and will represent the company before Legislative and Executive Branch officials. This position is based in a state capitol within the Northeast region DC and requires regular travel.
The key objectives are:
1. Positively influence legislative and regulatory proposals and policy initiatives of interest to the company and its businesses.
2. Build coalitions with industry and business peers to achieve public policy goals and objectives.
3. Develop and maintain relationships with key legislators and staff, Executive Branch officials, and other public policy makers.
4. Remove obstacles and support business development initiatives that will position businesses to pursue new government-funded business opportunities.
Main Tasks and Accountabilities:
1. Legislative Tracking and Monitoring: Review pending legislation and regulations in seven Northeast states to identify legislative and regulatory proposals of concern.
2. Lobbying and Government Affairs Support: Develop and implement effective government affairs strategies in key Northeast states. Work closely with business representatives to identify potential business opportunities and legislative/regulatory threats. Actively lobby on behalf of the company and its businesses. Direct and manage contract lobbyists to support public policy objectives and pursue business development opportunities.
3. Coalition Building: Actively participate in industry coalitions and trade associations to promote public policy objectives. Leverage support from coalitions and trade associations to effectively lobby on priority issues.
4. Systems and Tools: Proficient use of technology to meet government affairs objectives.