Ciena may well be the most important technology company you’ve never heard of. The innovations that wow us (driverless cars), and those we now take for granted (the ability to mobile-stream your favorite show) are the products of ingenuity from some brilliant and forward-thinking companies. But those companies rely on Ciena, another vanguard of innovation, to create and advance the underlying networks that bring their breakthroughs to our doorsteps. VR, AI, IOT, 5G … literally none of it would be possible without the mind-boggling technology that makes the internet itself work. For more than 25 years, Ciena has been the global leader in networking strategy, and our technology has been part of the critical infrastructure running within the most advanced companies in the world.
What will you do at Ciena?
A key role in the tax team, responsible for managing tax matters related to all Ciena entities, managing the tax provision process, and other special projects as assigned. Individual will perform tax research, tax planning, and modelling. Individual will work directly with tax senior management to plan, implement and maintain tax-efficient structure world-wide.
- Manage the preparation and review the global tax provision of the company’s SEC reporting requirements under ASC 740
- Manage the international tax function and oversee the preparation of all Forms 5471, 8858, 1118, and other international tax components of the US federal tax return
- Determine tax impact of business transactions and develop and execute global tax strategies
- Research and interpret new and existing domestic and foreign tax laws, regulations, pronouncements and judicial decisions pertaining to the company, and recommend policies and procedures necessary to comply with tax laws while maximizing the company’s objectives
- Advise and critique high value business planning strategies and other financial arrangements
- Assist with tax planning and special assignments
- Establish the applicability of new and existing tax laws and pronouncements to the company
- Design Excel models to compute complex tax calculations
- Write technical tax memos applying tax laws to the company’s tax positions.
Collaboration with stakeholders
- Work with management to perform due diligence and provide assessment of tax impacts of acquisitions and divestitures
Areas of impact
- Identify opportunities to optimize the company’s tax position and communicate to executive management on a proactive and timely basis
- Assist with the design and implementation of optimal tax structures for new business initiatives
- Coordinate and manage tax audits
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field
- CPA and/or Master of Science in Taxation (MST) preferred
- At least 4 years of Big Four/regional public accounting firm experience or equivalent industry experience
- At least 2 years of experience working on projects
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Must be self-motivated and willing to take ownership of projects
- Experience with aspects of federal & state tax law
- Experience in managing tax matters for foreign subsidiaries preferred
- Strong outbound international tax knowledge
- Strong understanding and working knowledge of ASC 740
- 5 or more years of ASC 740 experience preferred
- Implementation of tax provision software experience preferred
- Strong research skills required, such as CCH and BNA
- Strong computer skills required, such as MS PowerPoint, MS Word and MS Excel
- Familiarity with Oracle preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Rewarding experience. Meaningful outcomes.
Making a difference in people's lives through design and implementation of leading network technologies. That's what motivates us.
A distinct way to work
Free thinking, free discussion, and collaboration are the norm. Expect more satisfying outcomes - both personal and professional.
Ciena values the diversity of our workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, gender or age.
Ciena is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise Ciena in a timely fashion of the specific needs / accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to any specific needs / accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
What you can expect from us
- You will receive notification of your successful application
- Successful applicants will be contacted by Talent Acquisition for an initial discussion
- If suitable you will be considered for the short list and our formal interview process