We believe in the power of people. We are a network strategy and technology company that is motivated by making a difference in people’s lives – their productivity, their creativity, their health and comfort. That’s why our engineers design and implement technologies that allow people to do great things.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES
DIMENSION & SCOPE:
A key role in the tax team, responsible for managing tax matters related to all Ciena entities, managing the tax provision process, and other special projects as assigned. Individual will perform tax research, tax planning, and modelling. Individual will work directly with tax senior management to plan, implement and maintain tax-efficient structure world-wide.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the preparation and review the global tax provision of the company’s SEC reporting requirements under ASC 740
- Manage the international tax function and oversee the preparation of all Forms 5471, 8858, 1118, and other international tax components of the US federal tax return
- Work with management to perform due diligence and provide assessment of tax impacts of acquisitions and divestitures
- Determine tax impact of business transactions and develop and execute global tax strategies
- Research and interpret new and existing domestic and foreign tax laws, regulations, pronouncements and judicial decisions pertaining to the company, and recommend policies and procedures necessary to comply with tax laws while maximizing the company’s objectives
- Establish the applicability of new and existing tax laws and pronouncements to the company
- Advise and critique high value business planning strategies and other financial arrangements
- Identify opportunities to optimize the company’s tax position and communicate to executive management on a proactive and timely basis
- Assist with the design and implementation of optimal tax structures for new business initiatives
- Coordinate and manage tax audits
- Design Excel models to compute complex tax calculations
- Write technical tax memos applying tax laws to the company’s tax positions.
- Assist with tax planning and special assignments
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field
- CPA and/or Master of Science in Taxation (MST) preferred
- At least 4 years of Big Four/regional public accounting firm experience or equivalent industry experience
- At least 2 years of experience working on projects
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Must be self-motivated and willing to take ownership of projects
- Experience with aspects of federal & state tax law
- Experience in managing tax matters for foreign subsidiaries preferred
- Strong outbound international tax knowledge
- Strong understanding and working knowledge of ASC 740
- 5 or more years of ASC 740 experience preferred
- Implementation of tax provision software experience preferred
- Strong research skills required, such as CCH and BNA
- Strong computer skills required, such as MS PowerPoint, MS Word and MS Excel
- Familiarity with Oracle preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Ciena values the diversity of our workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, gender and age.