Working independently, the Global Product Safety and Compliance Manager will be accountable for managing the global product safety and compliance program. Responsible for providing expertise, clear direction, information and interpretation to all business units relating to international regulatory and product safety standards for all GameStop and ThinkGeek products. This includes but is not limited to: toys, apparel, accessories, electronics, and home goods. This Manager is responsible for protecting our brands and for delivering products to our customers which are safe, legal and meet customer expectations. This individual will work closely with GameStop’s buying team to qualify all foreign suppliers in conjunction with industry and company standards. The role will also be responsible for establishing product testing protocols applicable to all private-label merchandise and re-manufacturing components. This role works with a supervisor as frequently or infrequently as needed by either. Most activities may be performed without a supervisor’s advance approval.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
• Lead company-wide efforts to develop, document, and implement procedures to ensure compliance to all International, Federal, State and Local laws in which GameStop does business.
• Partner with legal, risk, product safety/compliance and cross-functional teammates to formulate policies related to product labeling rules, bans, regulations and safety standards
• Support international business growth establishing best practice processes for ensuring all international regulatory and product safety standards are researched and internal standards are completely and accurately developed
• Partner with accredited 3rd party labs to produce internationally recognized safety and regulatory standards for all products
• Provide technical/regulatory advice as needed
• Monitor regulatory and product safety developments in the industry to ensure ongoing compliance
• Establish strong ties with the testing laboratories, and other academic and legal experts to ensure we are kept aware of anticipated changes to legal and regulatory requirements
• Operationalize requirements by developing policy, processes, specifications, and manuals necessary for ensuring supplier compliance to all International, Federal, State and Local laws
• Provide ongoing training to address issues identified through audits or test results
• Partner with relevant parties to resolve all product non-compliance issues
• Provide risk assessment data to the business
• Presents and regularly distributes performance trend information as it relates to product quality/safety and supplier compliance. Uses this information to improve performance by driving change through root cause analysis and corrective action.
• Elevate emerging issues and critical failures where appropriate
• Evaluate third party testing laboratory capabilities and competencies
• Provide awareness and training of product safety and compliance requirements to vendors and internal business partners.
• Develop and maintain a third-party program requiring regular audits of all foreign factories for adherence to legal and social compliance standards, product safety requirements and quality assurance.
• Work with business partners within GameStop’s Global Merchandising, Procurement, Supply Chain, and Legal teams to establish an Approved Vendor Program and establishing escalation criteria for vendors who fail vendor audits.
• Monitor compliance laws and regulations that require public disclosure related to supply chain, including but not limited to the CA Supply Chain Transparency Act and the Dodd-Franklin Act – Conflict Minerals.
• Create, implement, and oversee a supplier management program including metrics, quality/performance goals, and improvement processes.
• Create a work environment that encourages diversity, inclusion, and respect.
• Manage relationships in a manner acceptable to others and to the organization.
• Model the behaviors expected of all GameStop leaders including, but not limited to, a drive for results, with a demonstrable bias for action; high levels of emotional intelligence, maturity, and professionalism; giving, receiving and responding to feedback effectively; a consistently high service orientation; and demonstrable commitments to diversity, inclusion, a respectful workplace, and integrity.
• Detail and Quality Orientation — demonstrating exceptional mastery of project details while remaining focused on desired project and business outcomes; varying effectively between global and detailed perspectives with high levels of accuracy and follow-up
• Continuous Improvement — proactively originating action to improve existing conditions and processes; identifying improvement opportunities, generating ideas, and implementing solutions.
• Conducting Difficult Conversations — demonstrating high risk tolerance for initiating and conducting difficult conversations; providing candid, effective feedback to others by focusing on behaviors and outcomes; and leveraging candor to move decisively through stalled initiatives
• Cultivating Networks — Initiating and maintaining strategic relationships with stakeholders inside and outside the organization (e.g., customers, peers, cross-functional partners, external vendors, and alliance partners) to advance business goals
BASIC AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE)
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited program in general business, management, leadership, logistics, engineering, or related academic discipline; master’s degree preferred.
• At least seven (7) total years of experience in international supply chain management, with at least 3 of those years in a role primarily dedicated to managing product safety, leading quality assurance programs, managing third party foreign factory audit programs.
• Occasional (less than 10%) International/Domestic travel to manufacturing/supplier sites is required
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, JOB SKILLS, ABILITIES
• Commitment to and passion for quality, product safety and compliance
• Retail Consumer Product acumen and ability to maneuver within a Fortune 500 Company
• Possess thorough understanding of analytical testing, quality principles, manufacturing processes, laboratory test methodology, ratings analysis as well as retail industry and consumer tolerances
• Ability to work effectively in an environment of changing requirements, multiple product types and differing country requirements
• Strong attention to detail, and follow up
• Ability to prioritize, organize multiple tasks and work well under pressure
• Demonstrates initiative, is conscientious and provides complete follow-through on areas of responsibility. Is self-motivated.
• Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills.
• Ability to break down and communicate complex issues/regulations so it is simple to understand.
• Logical thinker, strong analytical, problem-solving abilities
• Exhibits sound and accurate judgment
• Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to build and foster partnerships, be assertive without being offensive and work with all levels within the organization
• Expert relationship building skills, demonstrated through a demonstrated ability to construct productive, sustainable cross-functional partnerships
• Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with others; conducts working relationships in a manner acceptable to others and to the organization
• Proficient presentation skills to present information to an audience of varying responsibility within the company effectively
• Possess a broad and enterprise view of the business and its relationships to compliance, procurement and supply chain departments
• Proficient situational analysis, negotiation, problem solving, and decision-making abilities.
• Expert ability to communicate with others of varying knowledge and responsibility throughout the organization by using spoken and written English
• Ability to work under demanding time constraints and production goals
• Must possess the ability to prioritize, organize and multi-task in a flexible, fast paced and challenging environment to effectively meet deadlines
• High proficiency in the use of PC software tools (primarily MS Office) for reports, analysis, audits, and presentations.
• Proficient knowledge of employee development: talent assessment, competency-based development, motivation and reward
• Ability to effectively recruit, hire, coach, train, develop, retain, and redirect others as needed in order to produce a successful team
• Consistently demonstrates a commitment to GameStop policies and procedures, including but not limited to, attendance, confidentiality, conflict of interest, and ethical responsibilities