Guardant Health is a leading precision oncology company focused on helping conquer cancer globally through use of its proprietary blood tests, vast data sets, and advanced analytics. The Guardant Health Oncology Platform leverages capabilities to drive commercial adoption, improve patient clinical outcomes, and lower healthcare costs across all stages of the cancer care continuum. Guardant Health has launched liquid biopsy-based Guardant360®, Guardant360 CDx, and GuardantOMNI® tests for advanced-stage cancer patients. These tests fuel development of its LUNAR program, which aims to address the needs of early-stage cancer patients with neoadjuvant and adjuvant treatment selection, cancer survivors with surveillance, asymptomatic individuals eligible for cancer screening, and individuals at a higher risk for developing cancer with early detection.
The Global Payroll Manager at Guardant Health will contribute to a world-class finance team in rapid growth and emerging environment and report to our Assistant Controller. The finance team serves as trusted advisors for all our strategic and enterprise endeavors and works closely with business partners daily. Intrinsic motivation, curiosity, persistence, and collaboration will be critical to thrive in this role. You will partner and problem-solve with colleagues across several business teams; therefore, strong interpersonal communication skills are required, both written and verbal.
Responsible for the management and execution of multi-state and global payrolls, including reporting and account reconciliation. Responsible for taking a leadership role with the design and management of payroll systems and processes, including leading and implementing payroll-related projects to ensure compliance with all applicable state, local, and federal laws and business needs. Responsible for the management and development of our payroll team, working together to build and scale the payroll department, strengthen internal controls, and accurately manage day-to-day operations.
- Implements manage and review Payroll to ensure timely and accurate domestic and international payroll processing with strong data integrity consistent with all applicable federal, state, local, and country wage and hour laws.
- Responsible for ensuring all payroll regulatory filings are completed accurately and timely.
- Responsible for building and maintaining strong relationships with third party payroll related vendors to drive improvements and efficiencies in process and system use and provide recommendations to management.
- Owns month-end, quarter-end, and year-end processes for domestic and international payrolls, including reviewing/approving journal entries, W2's, account reconciliations, and accruals.
- Sets up and manages Payroll in new countries, providing inputs to international payroll service providers, reviewing and approving international payrolls.
- Manages payroll team and promotes the team's development through effective goal setting, metrics, and engagement/development plans.
- Monitors and implements changes according to new or revised payroll laws.
- Monitors automated payroll system updates, releases, interfaces, and maintenance for changes that may impact integrations, user experience, reporting, and Payroll processes ensuring appropriate action is taken.
- Leads and directs meetings with the payroll team to share best practices and initiatives and works collaboratively with cross-functional teams to implement process improvements, uptake new system functionality, and support initiatives that scale with business growth.
- Ensures timely completion of 401(k) submissions in accordance with DOL and ERISA regulations.
- Manages components of leaves of absences including, but not limited to, adhering to specific policies, tracking via Payroll, and coordination with Human Resources and third-party benefit providers on paid time off benefits.
- Interfaces with outside company auditors as needed related to HR, Payroll, and Benefits, which includes, but not limited to, providing ad-hoc reports, responding to procedural inquiries, and performing a careful analysis of information before providing information to outside audit sources.
- Responds to employee inquiries concerning Payroll with a sense of urgency, in a kind and empathetic manner, ensuring that staff members' needs and concerns are addressed.
- Review all timecards before processing for accurate recording of hours, overtime, and PTO.
- Develop and maintain pay policies, payroll calendars, payroll checklists, process maps, and other procedural documentation, ensuring that internal controls and procedures are followed to satisfy periodic review of compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley.
- Other projects as assigned.
- BS/BA degree required, preferably in Accounting or Finance.
- Certified Payroll Professional preferred. (CEP candidate a plus)
- Minimum 10 years of multi-state/global payroll experience with both exempt and non-exempt employees and knowledge of Payroll best practices and procedures.
- Minimum 5 years of recent experience with ADP Workforce Now required. Workday and Oracle Fusion experience are desired.
- 7+ years of experience leading and managing a team.
- Project management experience is a plus—experience defining program requirements and using data/metrics to determine improvements.
- Understanding of qualified benefit and retirement plans including 401(k) and ESOP.
- Technical and professional principles, practices, laws, applications, and programs in a position-related area, including knowledge of payroll regulations, reporting, and general accounting principles.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and take ownership of work product. You have a proven ability to meet multiple deadlines in a fast-growing environment with frequently changing priorities.
- Possess a tech-savvy mindset and passion for an end to end design and improvement.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and take on new tasks with various difficulty levels in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong computer aptitude, including ERP and Microsoft Office suite of applications, with advanced Excel.
Essential Skills & Abilities
- Develops strategies to effectively manage current and future challenges and opportunities and develops recommendations and actionable plans.
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills to manage, develop team members, and conflict resolution. This also includes defining issues, focusing on achieving workable solutions, and generating innovative ideas to build or improve existing systems.
- Demonstrates strong proficiency and knowledge in area(s) of expertise and company business and proficiency in strategic and financial processes.
- Demonstrates strong communication skills, including effective verbal and written communication, listens to and understands various viewpoints, shares relevant information timely, provides constructive feedback, and maintains professionalism.
- Presents ideas effectively to individuals or groups and delivers presentations suited to the audience's characteristics and needs.
- You have proven the ability to develop and maintain excellent working relationships that establish trust, credibility, and confidence.
- Promotes collaboration and assists others with their initiatives and efforts.
- Motivates and empowers others to achieve objectives and to develop a culture where employees feel ownership.
- Attracts, develops, retains good people, allows self and others opportunities to reach their full potential, and builds and shares knowledge and expertise.
- Listens to and builds customer relationships, increases customer satisfaction, and ensures commitments are met.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Employee may be required to lift routine office supplies up to 20 lbs and use office equipment. Majority of the work is performed in a desk/office environment; however, there may be exposed to high noise levels, fumes, and biohazard material in the laboratory environment. Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
Guardant Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.