about the role
The Product Development Manager manages the product line creation by partnering cross-functionally to develop, communicate, and execute to merchandise strategies within set financial targets. He/she works closely within a cross-functional team that includes; Production, Merchandising, Tech Services, and IM and Allocation , as well as Asia-based Gap Inc. Sourcing (GIS team) to deliver on product design and brand aesthetic while effectively managing average unit cost. The Product Development Manager may have Associate and Assistant Production Managers as his/her direct reports.
what you'll do
- Maintain an understanding of our brand aesthetic and collaborate with Design to support the development of the product line within set financial goals.
- Understand the engineering of product and can adjust for performance and cost while maintaining integrity of design.
- Understand product development implications on merchandising and design-driven product decisions based on category or vendor strategies and nuances
- Leverage technical knowledge and leadership support to troubleshoot and resolve issues that are unique in nature and may require a novel approach.
- Identifies and resolves potential manufacturing, costing issues prior to development, ensuring Quality execution at bulk.
- Understand divisional and cross-functional goals and work with team to execute supporting strategies.
- Understand and work with cross-functional teams to ensure financial targets are met by delivering costing guidance
- Drive fabric strategies by developing product to meet fabric expectations and providing recommendations on fabrics to platform, position, and leverage.
- Knows the capabilities of competitors and uses this to anticipate future needs for production technology , fabric and product innovation.
- Partners closely with design , understanding fit intent and required aesthetics of a garment.
- Demonstrates a forward thinking mindset by contributing ideas that support fabric and product innovation.
- Minimize financial liabilities by developing solutions, presenting recommendations and influencing business partners.
- Partner with Fabric R&D to provide input on market trend and new quality, to recommend alternatives and to confirm requirements on fabric development.
- Consistently seeks to drive quality standards throughout all stages of product creation in partnership with Quality lead, R&D, Tech Design to maintain brand standards and quality integrity.
- Maintain an understanding of how certain raw materials perform when in garment form and offer input and recommendations based on VOC, vendor innovation, quality improvements, and competition
- Manage product integrity and order specifications compliance.
- Alert CF leadership teams of high risk potential order problems.
- Direct seasonal sample making strategy
- Develop and manage relationships
- Coaching and Troubleshooting.
who you are
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years apparel production/sourcing experience
- Global Product Development experience in driving global product development and understands design. merchandising, and vendor/category management
- Problem Solver- can proactively solve problems and effectively manage multiple challenges.
- Global Business Acumen- experience executing on multi-year operational goals, incorporating knowledge of production trade regulations, testing protocol, product integrity, production cycle timeline, fabric and garment construction, and retail math.
- Collaboration- Proven ability influencing and making decisions cross-functionally in a matrix environment where speed and cultural sensitivity is crucial.
- Personal Leadership- demonstrated executive presence, presentation, influencing, and collaboration across a broader team.
- Change Management- experience leading with and without authority to influence others and drive decision-making.
- Learning Agility- demonstrated curiosity, motivated new skills and knowledge.
- Resourcefulness - experience in managing dynamic projects that require the ability to flex as obstacles are presented.