Manager Genetic Counseling
5 - 7 years experience •
Develop staff and oversight to maintain consistent professional and interpersonal relationships
- Act in accordance with NSGC Code of Ethics and ethical, legal and philosophical values of profession and Allina Health System
- Use patient advocate/non-coercive approach; refer when appropriate.
- Distinguish clinical versus research options and apply these across Allina sites when appropriate.
- Work with other health professionals at Allina Hospitals and Clinics to develop protocols related to the identification of genetic conditions that would impact risks and management of the patient and their families
- Facilitates relationships with other institutions so our patients have access to research/registry opportunities e.g. Johns Hopkins Pancreatic Cancer Registry, special project appt at Mayo; collaboration with Dana Farber for hereditary cancer families and other opportunities if they arise and are relevant
- Demonstrate initiative for continued clinical growth. Participate in teaching/research opportunities if indicated.
- Participates in care coordination activities with interdisciplinary care team
Administration/coordination/program development across Allina VPCI and affiliates.
- Provide genetic information/advisement to physicians, other clinical staff and Cancer programs.
- Supervise genetic counselors and provide input/coordinate their performance reviews
- Interviewing, hiring and management of genetic counselors across VPCI locations
- Coordinate bimonthly meeting of Allina Genetic Counseling Staff to ensure consistent practice and as a forum for education
- Review/update Allina VPCI policies related to genetic counseling services. Ensure that practice is consistent at all sites.
- Ensure critical elements of practice are current and consistent across Allina and affiliates.
- Evaluate opportunities for program development
- Work with administration for development at VPCI to ensure genetic services are integrated where appropriate, including across disciplines
- Assist the Allina lab and affiliated labs with protocols for genetic testing, interpretation when appropriate and choice of labs
- Manage genetic services operations and quality mgmt related to genetic counseling.
- Assist with budgeting strategies related to genetic counseling.
- Provide evidence and standards based care and exhibit professional competence in areas of communication, critical thinking and psychosocial assessment in providing genetic counseling services to patients and in phone consultations/triage for MD/RNin areas of:
- Hereditary cancer syndromes
- Cancer risk assessment
- Complex and monogenetic disorders
- Genetic testing
- Reproductive options to deal with cancer risk
- Master’s Degree education from an institution accredited
- Needs to be board certified in genetic counseling by the ABGC and/or the ABMG
- Needs to be licensed by the State of MN
- 5 years + of genetic counseling experience.
- Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
- Must keep current with respect to changing genetic advancements relevant to clinical practice and maintain continuing education units as prescribed by ABGC
- Ability to take and interpret family history, perform risk-assessment in all areas of medicine for disorders involving a significant genetic contribution, perform chart review; access and provide up to date information; take and interpret complex family histories and genetic test results for patients and health providers; review and select the most appropriate, test/cost effective care
- Must be able to assist patients in making family planning decisions/reproductive options, risk-management decisions and surveillance and preventive strategies that fit their own situation and are in line with recognized medical guidelines. Help patient and families adjust to and cope with choices
- Must have ability to work with physicians, nurses, lab staff, other medical and non-medical hospital staff members to institute program development to meet the genetic needs of the hospital or clinic
- Must have managerial skills to orchestrate complex practice of genetic counselors at several sites across Allina Virginia Piper Cancer Institute sites and affiliated sites.
- Knowledge background to develop and monitor consistency and quality of genetic counseling services across Allina Virginia Piper Cancer Institute and affiliated sites.