The primary role of the Firmware Manager is to provide management, leadership and coordination of the Firmware Development team. This includes building, leading, and mentoring the firmware development team in the design and support of Hach's current and future products.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Creates and drives firmware development strategies.
- Reviews architectures and designs as needed to ensure adherence to Hach Firmware standards, processes and good design practices.
- Facilitates cross functional reviews of firmware designs.
- Ensures teams are considering the use of leading-edge technology and keeping pace with revolutionary and innovative trends in their fields.
- Accountable for firmware quality
- Collaborates across global development sites to ensure that the teams are leveraging common technologies across Hach.
- Influences others within the organization to accept new concepts, practices, and approaches.
- Technical depth and ability to provide technical alternatives to facilitate business trade off discussions.
- Observes, questions, and steps up to remove roadblocks and resolve potential issues.
- Identifies problems, updates or modifies working methods that may be complex in their work area without the benefit of defined procedures.
- Evaluates Firmware Development talent through organizational reviews, performance reviews, development plans, merit recommendations and capacity planning.
- Leads the department's effort in hiring and onboarding of team members
- Manages resource allocation to balance staff among multiple development projects and product sustainment activities.
- Drives continuous improvement in embedded software quality and delivery.
- Sets individual and team objectives & priorities in partnership with other R&D leaders.
- Oversees and manages team deliverables to project teams and sustainment activities. Proactively tracks metrics for teams' work to ensure efforts are on track, reacts to issues.
Essential Leadership Attributes:
- Demonstrates skills in building and developing individuals and winning teams through empowering and transparent leadership.
- Motivates teams
- Communicates a vision and build followership toward common goals.
- Can lead change within group and with others related to group
- Active Listening
- Innovative thinking and initiative to drive positive change
- Honesty, integrity and trust. Leads by example.
- Demonstrates problem-solving skills and the ability to simplify complex issues.
- Exemplary teamwork/collaboration skills
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal)
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics or a related field
- 7 or more years of directly relevant progressive experience in firmware development and design.
- Minimum of 4 years' experience in a leadership capacity where the candidate is leading teams
- Direct experience leading Firmware design and implementation
- Direct experience developing extensible and reusable software and firmware architectures.
- Experience developing Firmware for battery powered and single purpose line powered instruments
- Direct experience developing single microprocessor/microcontroller instruments using Linux, RTOS, and bare metal.
- Strong OO design principles using C++ to design highly reliable products.
- Demonstrates a history of best practices including Agile project management, continuous integration, and unit testing.
- Working knowledge of Agile.
- Ability to work in a matrix team environment
- Leading cross functional initiatives with associates outside their scope of authority.