Manager, Financial Planning and Analysis
At UCSF Health, our mission of innovative patient care, advanced technology and pioneering research is redefining what’s possible for the patients we serve – a promise we share with the professionals who make up our team.
Ranked by U.S. News & World Report as the number one hospital in California – and among the top five in the country – UCSF Health is committed to providing the most rewarding work experience while delivering the best care available anywhere. In an environment that allows for continuous learning and opportunities for professional growth, UCSF Health offers the ideal atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents.
With more than one million patient visits and 46,000 hospital admissions per year, UCSF Health, as one of the Top 5 medical centers in the US, is recognized worldwide for its innovative patient care, advanced technology, and pioneering research. UCSF Health is the organizational umbrella for clinical services provided by the UCSF Medical Center with multiple locations in San Francisco, the UCSF Physician Organization, Benioff’s Children’s Hospital in Oakland, and various provider affiliates. UCSF Health’s vision is to provide innovative, high-quality, cost-competitive clinical services, and deliver an unparalleled patient experience across the entire care continuum.
We are looking for a FP&A Manager who will play a key role in supporting both Finance and Accounting. This position will provide business intelligence, support month-end close activities, manage annual budgeting and strategic planning, conduct financial performance management and variance analysis, support profitability analysis, and add financial insight into special initiatives that supports the overall strategic direction of the organization. The candidate builds trusted relationships with key stakeholders in Finance and Clinical Operations.
The FP&A Manager is responsible for the financial planning and analysis function within UCSF Physician Organization and affiliate clinics and serves as a business partner for Operations and Finance leadership. The FP&A Manager collaborates with Accounting and the Finance Shared Service Center to ensure timely and accurate reporting of monthly financial statements and supporting analysis, the cost accounting for the Faculty Practice, and the service line profitability reporting.
The FP&A Manager is responsible for leadership in the following areas:
- Supports the monthly close process by reviewing financial statements and supporting analysis for accuracy and consistency. Prepares additional analysis to explain material actual versus budget variances. Proposes correcting journal entries by closely collaborating with accounting staff. Summarizes financial results by evaluating areas of concern and recommending solutions to Senior Leadership.
- Create models/financial analysis tools that are used to create presentations to Senior Leadership and the Board that assist in understanding progress towards achieving organizational goals at the Faculty Practice level (e.g. payor mix data analysis, clinic profitability, staff productivity, physician payments, business and service line reporting).
- Conducts ongoing financial analysis of operations that include recommendations for performance improvement to senior leadership.
- Contribute to the development of the annual operating budget and the strategic long range plan by closely working together with Operations, Strategy, and other departments. Summarize and present budget and long range plan, KPI’s and other analytics to senior management, as well as making recommendations based on sound financial analysis.
- Prepare ad-hoc analysis to facilitate executive decision making e.g. productivity benchmarking, profitability analysis of business lines, investment planning, M&Afinancial planning etc.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting or related area and / or equivalent experience / training
- 8 – 10 years’ experience in decision support/financial management, preferably in physician practice or hospital setting
- Knowledge of clinical, financial, and business information technology software, hardware, tools, techniques, and systems. (e.g. MS Word, PowerPoint, and MS Project)
- Proficiency in use of integrated financialreporting tools and underlying data warehouse and cost accounting methodologies
- Finance/Financial Management, Analysis and Modeling Strong problem solving and analytical skills. Ability to analyze data utilizing defined but different processes. Problem solving with data frequently requires independent interpretation of guidelines
- Cost Accounting Knowledge, interpreting Cost Accounting results and presenting recommendations to Senior Leadership. Interpreting Financial Results and presenting recommendations to Senior Leadership
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, interpret and document trends and variances timely (on an ad hoc, monthly, quarterly, and annual basis)
- Functional knowledge of large scale integrated client server / ERP financial systems (e.g., PeopleSoft systems)
- Deep financial data knowledge and ability to use advanced business analysis skills to work on issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors and exercise
- Ability to create solutions on how departments can convert current activity into new technologies or more effective and efficient processes
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills. Excellent ability to motivate, influence, and persuade others, and cultivate a strong commitment to efficiency, functionality, and quality customer service
- Excellent skills in developing strategic plans, evaluating and developing staff competencies, organizing operations, and fiscal management
- Excellent leadership skills, with the ability to create and maintain a goal-oriented climate of teamwork and collaboration across departments for effective problem solving, conflict resolution, support for organizational values, and consistent achievement
- Excellent critical-thinking and business process skills, with the ability to implement effective solutions
- Advanced skills to educate management and tailor decision support objectives and goals to meet a broad variety of needs
- The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Medical Center locations
- Master’s Degree
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- 3-5 Years of experience providing management and/or leadership to Finance teams
- Industry knowledge with hospital, physician group, health plan, or academic medical centers
- Ability to work well in a collegial environment