Develops and implements workforce planning, staff progression, hiring and training strategies for the Field Operations staff. Responsible for the continual development of Field Operations Crew Leaders, Supervisors and Specialists. Serves as a technical adviser, mentor and coach, and hands on trainer when needed, focusing on the transfer of knowledge in the field and office environments. Assists with the identification of training opportunities, the development of training material and in the advancement of related knowledge management tools. Performs change management for operating procedure modifications that result from amendments to Standards and/or regulations. Serves as the on-scene lead for the Company's 24/7 emergency response system, provides assistance and guidance in the Command Center for emergency situations and must be available as required.
Tasks and Responsibilities
• Manages the work of Field Operations staff involved with workforce development, including hiring, evaluating, training, performance management, compensating, motivating, coaching, and developing goals and procedures to ensure the achievement of goals; manages in accordance with labor contract(s) specifications and Company policies and procedures.
• Develops and manages workforce development and progression, including determining required staffing levels, hiring and training plans as well as CLDP (crew leader development program), and allocation of developmental employees across all Field Operations stations.
• Collaborates with Technical Training to coordinate all training activities within the operations area, including tracking employee progression revising training as needed, and establishing a continuous learning approach for Field Staff.
• Researches, develops and implements new processes and technologies for Field Operations to improve costs through productivity and efficiency gains.
• Contributes to budget development and provides meta-budget analytics.
• Serves as Field Operations liaison to Codes and Standards to contribute to the evolution of O&M standards and the implementation of these standards for Field Operations
• Serves as a technical adviser, mentor and coach, and hands on trainer, when needed, responsible for the continual development of Field Operations Crew Leaders, Supervisors and Specialists.
• Interacts with Field Operations Managers to identify specific knowledge and experience gaps of Field Operations Crew Leaders, Supervisors and Specialists.
• Manages the facilitation of the transfer of knowledge and exchange of information by developing activity schedules and coordinating learning situations.
• Supplies task or situation specific guidance and instruction with emphasis on safety, compliance with federal, state and local codes and adherence to Washington Gas policies and procedures.
• Provides objective feedback and support while safely developing Field Operations Crew Leaders, Supervisors and Specialists to new levels of competence.
• Interacts with Human Resources/Organizational Development to refine and advance knowledge management tools, learning plans and technical libraries.
• Reporting results and delivering presentations to internal and external customers.
• Develops, creates and implements new or revised policies and procedures
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
• Bachelor's Degree degree in business, engineering, or a related field
• In lieu of a Bachelor's degree, four additional years of directly related experience may be substituted; or an Associate's degree and 6 additional years of directly related experience
• 7+ Years experience performing maintenance on natural gas piping systems is required
• 2+ Years of supervisory or team leadership experience is required
• Field crew management experience is preferred
• Experience supervising employees working under a union labor contract is preferred
• Working knowledge of Federal, state and local regulations for emergency response and maintenance of natural gas distribution systems, including, but not limited to, GPTC, National Fuel Gas Code, and DOT 192
• Proven ability to use computer software and applications, including Microsoft Office, to share, retrieve, research and present business information
• Demonstrated ability to present ideas logically and concisely to diverse audiences at all organizational levels, both verbally and in writing
• Demonstrated ability to establish rapport and effective working relationships with business partners, supervisors, subordinates, and peers
• Demonstrated ability to make decisions quickly and effectively and to redirect resources to meet ever-changing business situations
• Demonstrated ability to make quick and valid decisions based on limited data in response to emergency situations
• Demonstrated ability to perform with a high degree of flexibility and resourcefulness
• Demonstrated working knowledge of project management and six sigma methodologies preferred
• Demonstrated working knowledge of work management systems and GIS
• Demonstrated success leading teams to reach collaborative decisions and coordinating multiple parties, through direct and indirect influence, to reach project completion by meeting expected goals