The Manager, Executive Compensation is responsible for the management and day-to-day administration of Harbor Freight’s Executive Compensation plans, programs, policies and processes. This includes planning, developing, implementing, and maintaining base pay structures, incentive programs, and variable pay programs for alignment with the company’s goals and strategic direction and to remain competitive. The role also ensures that programs are fair, equitable and consistently administered in compliance with company policies, state and federal employment laws, and government regulations. This role provides expert guidance to HR leadership on compensation trends and competitive pay practices and manages the Executive Compensation process to ensure that the department provides exemplary service to Harbor Freight Tools associates and partners.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Compensation Management & Administration
- Develops and manages compensation management functions, such as job evaluation, external market pricing, internal benchmarking, and policy interpretation
- Monitors and reviews the effectiveness of existing compensation policies and programs
- Recommends compensation plan changes or new plan designs which are consistent with compensation trends and company objectives
- Provides advice and guidance to HFT leaders and HR partners on compensation related issues, identification of compensation for new positions and job offers, and the design of creative solutions to complex compensation matters
- Manages the administration of the merit increase processes including budgeting and market analysis, collaboration with the performance management process, communications, reporting, analysis and processing for payroll
- Coordinates process for reviewing, documenting, tracking and paying variable pay programs; working with HR leadership and HFT leaders to ensure quality reporting, effectiveness of program structure, alignment with company strategies and goals, and appropriate balance of payout with profitability
- Participates in various annual salary surveys
- Builds and maintains strong and effective working relationships with Operations, HR Partners, Finance, Legal, Tax, and Payroll
Budgeting, Data Analysis and Reporting
- Conducts periodic risk assessments on compensation programs, working with HR leadership, Legal, and HFT leaders on plan design and risk mitigation where necessary.
- Prepares reports and charts that support compensation recommendations and decisions; may develop and/or maintain customized compensation reports to meet the needs of HR Leadership and HFT Leaders
- Defines and tracks metrics, analyzes trends and outcomes, and ensures the effectiveness of compensation programs; prepares meaningful analysis of market survey data in comparison to HFT compensation data
- Works with HRIS to ensure that systems meet compensation needs and are maintained to reflect changes to salary structures, bonus programs, efficient workflow, etc.
- Organizational Scope – works with various departments as required
- Confidential Information: This position requires access to confidential employee information as well as confidential company policies and other company information. As a result, this position requires extreme care and diligence to comply with all employment, privacy and other applicable laws and regulations. This position requires that all such information is kept strictly confidential, both within and outside the company.
- Travel – negligible
- Equipment Used – computer, printer, copier, fax
Job Qualifications – Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline and at least five years’ experience in the analysis, design, and/or administration of compensation programs; prior retail industry compensation administration experience highly preferred
- Prior management experience
- Strong technical aptitude and experience with HRIS and compensation systems
- Computer proficiency with the ability to utilize MS Office, including advanced Excel skills and intermediate to advanced PowerPoint and Word skills
- CCP or similar certification preferred (or progress toward certification)
- Working knowledge and understanding of all pertinent federal and state regulations affecting compensation, particularly the FLSA
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills, creativity and inquisitive thinking
- Excellent project management, communication and organizational skills are required
- Must be able to be an effective business partner and consultant to all levels of the organization
- Must have a customer-service focus, be self-driven, motivated to help, and able to perform in a team environment
- Must remain positive, professional, determined, calm and focused when faced with challenging situations
- Must be able to efficiently and effectively manage a high volume of inquiries and e-mails
- Must be able to effectively adapt to changing and new priorities
General office environment requiring ability to:
- stand, walk, sit for extended periods of time
- speak and listen to others in person and over the phone
- use keyboard and read from computer screen and reports
- lift up to 15 lbs.