Primary Job Function:
An Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) professional who, working with little or no supervision, applies advanced EHS knowledge, to complete complex assignments and interact with customers. Is solutions-minded in planning, directing and completing EHS assignments. Serves as a subject matter expert for select Abbott EHS management and technical standards. Contributes to the development of entry level EHS professionals by sharing good practices and personal knowledge.
Core Job Responsibilities:
Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
· Identifies plans and conducts complex and/or large-size projects.
· Managing multiple, often concurrent, projects and meets deadlines.
· Performs feasibility studies related to project alternatives.
· Maintains project controls and reporting for cost, scope and schedule; developing execution plan and contingency plan if necessary.
· Understands the business requirements and possible impacts, and has a thorough knowledge of the stakeholder needs and EHS compliance when developing a project scope.
· Works with a wide degree of latitude to plan, conduct and direct projects.
· Responsible for achieving EHS targets in support of business objectives.
· Acts as a lead person or technical expert on complex projects.
· Develops site EHS Strategic Plan, meeting its objectives in a timely manner.
· Has project budgetary responsibilities.
· Benchmarks internally and externally.
· Keeps abreast of current EHS trends and practices.
· Executes, and / or directs EHS programs or projects.
· Serves as a subject matter expert in their field of expertise.
· Directs major projects requiring origination and application of new and unique approaches.
· Conducts complex investigations.
· Set functional or site strategic and policy direction.
· Develops and utilizes best-in-class analytical tools to perform job.
· Communicates across functions and disciplines, and presents data to management.
Problem Solving / Innovation:
· Conceptualizes complete solutions for novel or complex problems; integrates regulatory and operational needs;
· Conducts complex investigations identifying root causes.
· Based on root cause analysis, identifies and provides resources to implement solutions.
· Structures EHS initiatives or programs that integrate cross-disciplinary and cross-functional issues to arrive at optimal/best-in-class course of action.
· Explores multiple alternatives.
· Applies technology in innovative ways.
· Addresses stakeholders needs.
· Mentors others by sharing technical expertise and providing feedback and guidance.
· Where appropriate, provides tasks / project assignment opportunities for employee development and evaluates performance.
· Represents the organization as primary EHS contact.
· Interacts with both senior management and external personnel on significant EHS matters.
· Prepares and reviews written communication.
· Conveys information effectively through formal and informal documents and meetings.
· As appropriate, may move forward with action plans without seeking approval.
· Exhibits advanced ability to apply concepts of careful communication.
· Follows through on EHS goals and incorporates the ideas of others; shares resources, knowledge and accountability to benefit the objectives of the business.
· Establishes professional networks.
· Acts as a trusted EHS advisor.
· Regularly communicates a high-level EHS summary to management.
· Drives EHS performance and metric improvements.
· Complies with all regulations and standards.
· Ensures EHS compliance and risk mitigation through risk assessments and implementation of strategies.
· Track company, industry and regulatory activities to ensure effective EHS compliance.
· Develops and provides training on programs, systems or EHS compliance.
· Assist in the development and implementation of Global Standards across the business.
· Develop long range plan to support EHS strategy, considering long term goals and EHS continuous improvement.
· Is identified as EHS Subject Matter Expert.
· Participates or leads cross-divisional teams to develop and align procedures/standards and share best practices.
· Directs the efforts of others, such as technicians and outside resources.
· Develops and approves requests for Capital Expenditures (RCE's), safety assessments, audit reports, etc.
· Develops and manages budgets.
Position Accountability / Scope:
· Works independently.
· Exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives of assignment.
· Develops scenarios to give management a set of viable alternatives and recommends actions.
· Decisions or recommendations would result in achievement of key organizational objectives and compliance.
· Drives functional performance that meets required standards and regulatory compliance.
· A Bachelor's or Master's degree in EHS, Engineering, science, or equivalent technical experience plus demonstrated competence.
· A post-graduate education / degree is desired, and may contribute towards the desired years of experience.
Minimum Experience / Training Required:
· 8+ years of EHS experience.
· Demonstrate competencies within the following; Set Vision & Strategy, Anticipate, Innovate, Build and Deliver Results.
· Professional certification is desirable.