The Manager, Environment, Health and Safety (EH&S) is responsible for driving results in a fast-paced environment and is accountable for developing, implementing and sustaining EH&S programs at the St. Louis, MO and Edison, NJ laboratory testing facilities. The Manager, EH&S ensures the safety of all employees, visitors and contractors; protection of the environment and maintenance of compliance with all Federal, State and local regulations. The Manager EH&S provides leadership to the EH&S Specialist located at the Edison facility, providing guidance and direction with the aim of progressing EH&S program alignment across the Analytical Testing businesses at St. Louis and Edison. Additionally, the Manager EH&S will work closely with the EH&S support team in Wilmington, NC to ensure program and systems are aligned. The position requires superior leadership behaviors of the Alcami core competencies and non-negotiables, as well as functional knowledge and expertise of applicable Federal, State and local regulations within the pharmaceutical industry, and demonstrate excellent problem solving and investigation skills using root-cause analysis and ensuring appropriate corrective and preventative measures, and excellent interpersonal, facilitation, training, written and verbal communications skills.
- Fosters a culture where safety is top priority and employees are actively engaged in the safety program.
- Provides direction and leadership to senior management and site staff to improve EH&S performance.
- Serves as a member of the Site Leadership Team (SLT) and promotes objectives and metrics to drive EH&S performance.
- Works closely with site management to identify and mitigate hazards and unsafe behaviors.
- Provides leadership and direction to the EH&S Specialists at the Edison site.
- Implements and maintains EH&S compliance programs including Laboratory Safety, Chemical Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Waste Management, Permit-to-Work, Ergonomics, Fire Safety and Emergency Response.
- Monitors and evaluates occupational safety and health conditions including physical, chemical and/or biological hazards.
- Coordinates and provides specialized EH&S training classes within the company to meet regulatory requirements, to increase hazard recognition and to mitigate risks.
- Conducts assessments, inventories and inspections to ensure compliance and program effectiveness.
- Ensures medical, hazmat and safety processes and supplies are maintained.
- Serves as the liaison with Federal, State and local regulatory agencies.
- Performs and participates in EH&S inspections.
- Conducts and/or reviews incident investigations and the development of appropriate corrective and preventive actions (CAPA).
- Develops job hazard assessment for high risk activities.
- Ensures timely completion and compliance with cGMP and all other relevant company training requirements.
- Attracts, develops, and retains a high performing team to meet the current and evolving needs of the business through effective selection, training and development, coaching and mentoring and performance management.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial hygiene, safety, engineering or related scientific field required.
- 5-8years of EH&S experience in a laboratory setting required.
- Prior pharmaceutical or CDMO experiencepreferred.
- Prior supervisory experiencepreferred.
- Consistently demonstrates honesty and integrity through personal example.
- Follows all safety policies and leads by example a safety first culture.
- Produces high quality work product with a focus on first time right.
- Complies with the company code of conduct and policies and regulatory standards.