The Manager, Environmental Affairs will support the development, execution and continual improvement of the organization's strategic EHS Plan. The position will have enterprise-wide responsibilities in the support and optimization of the company's Risk Management and EHS program. This individual will have a thorough understanding of environmental principals, leading industry practices and governing regulations focused on compliance, risk management and sustainable solutions.
This position will support TreeHouse Foods (THS) Corporate Environmental Affairs program with identifying and minimizing environmental compliance risk associated with our processes and operations. The position will assist in the development and maintenance of programs, systems, and procedures necessary to support compliance with applicable environmental regulations and conformance with the company's corporate environmental standards. The position will be based in Oak Brook, Illinois and report to the Director of Environmental Affairs.
The scope of THS' Environmental Affairs program includes, but is not limited to:
- Environmental regulatory compliance and analysis, including support of air, waste, chemical management, wastewater (process and stormwater), emergency response, and oil and tank management programs;
- Energy & utility efficiency / conservation as it pertains to partnering with Engineering and THS Sustainability organizations;
- Historic liabilities and remediation projects; and
- Support for ammonia systems, and other high-risk materials as defined by regulations and Corporate Risk Management.
- Support of cross-functional EHS programs including chemical and material management, emergency response, and management systems.
Support THS EHS and Risk Management leadership team with implementation of consistent corporate EHS management systems, including control methods, training, programs and procedures. Tasks may include:
- Administering, implementing and updating the system based on applicable regulations, codes, standards and / or best practices.
- Participating in the measurement, auditing and evaluation of the effectiveness of EHS management systems and compliance with environmental regulations.
- Developing and delivering environmental compliance and/or management system training.
- Support corporate EHS auditing program;
- Act as liaison between facilities' team members and the Corporate Risk Management and EHS Team in the execution of corporate EHS initiatives;
- Monitor and tracks emerging environmental issues related to operations, policy and regulations; identify and understand the impacts to manufacturing facilities. Formulate proposals for tactical and strategic responses, and advise leadership of impacts and mitigation strategies;
- Direct impact assessments to identify, assess and reduce environmental risks and financial costs. Ensures incident investigations at sites are conducted to investigate environmental incidents and identify root cause of issue(s).
- Function as a subject matter expert for environmental issues;
- Support facility EHS leaders and facilities with internal and external relationships (e.g., government agency, consultants, insurers, brokerage, legal) as necessary;
- Participate in critical activities (e.g., planning, budgeting, data collection / reporting) as assigned;
- Stay current regarding applicable regulations, practices, tools, and processes and communicates changes throughout the organization.
- Complete other duties and tasks as assigned.
- Qualifications and Requirements: (List minimum requirements for skills and experience for this position. Be clear on which items are required vs preferred.)
- Required: 8-10 years of experience in manufacturing setting or diverse consulting practice;
- Required: BS degree in engineering or related scientific field (chemical, mechanical, environmental, etc.)
- Preferred: Experience in U.S. and Canada
- Preferred: Multi-media audit and/or management system auditing experience
- Preferred: Remediation project management experience
- Preferred: Experience with environmental management information systems (EMIS)
- Bachelor's Degree Required – Type: Engineering or related scientific field
- Certification/Licensure/Designation Required for Job: CHMM, ISO 14001 Auditor, Registered Environmental Manager a plus
- Preferred Attributes (Outline any additional skills)
- Ability to identify, assess and lead multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate results.
- Working knowledge of industry EHS, specifically environmental, practices, regulations and risks. U.S. and Canada
- Hands-on approach, ability to work as an integral part of the EHS team and engage with plant teams.
- Strong interpersonal, facilitation, organizational, and verbal / written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Demonstrated proficiency in software applications: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Visio, AutoCAD.
- Ability to work in all possible environmental conditions including office, manufacturing, labs and warehouse.
Travel up to 40% required.