Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
Oversee a team of SMEs in the area of process, automation, electrical and CAD who support day-to-day operations and capital projects. Additionally manage small to medium sized projects and initiaitves that involve a cross functional team.
- Create an environment of continuous improvement, driving process and resource efficiency through the implementation of Lean principles
- Provide guidance to subordinates to achieve goals in accordance with established policies, cost and schedule guidelines
- Establishes performance standards and goals. Define and communicate metrics used to track progress against department and company goals.
- Provides guidance to subordinates to achieve goals in accordance with established policies, cost and schedule guidelines
- Hires, evaluates and terminates staff. Conduct personnel interviews, performance reviews, develop and administer enhancement plans, follow-up on personnel issues, and conduct terminations when necessary
- Establishes and recommends changes to procedures which affect the subsidiary/entity or corporate Unit or Department or area of responsibility
- Ensure successful IPMP process execution to drive consistency between Company/Department goals and objectives and day-to-day business operations.
- Lead or Coordinate the cross functional team to insure harmonization of best practices and achieve desired results while maintaining core values.
- Effectively manage team’s work prioritizes to align with department and companies evolving needs.
Technical Management Responsibility
- Plans, manages and directs moderately complex administrative, scientific or production initiatives and any related staff activities.
- Works on problems of diverse scope in which analysis of situation or data requires evaluation of identifiable factors
- Exercises judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions
- Acts as advisor to subordinate(s) to meet schedules and/or resolve technical problems.
- Develops and administers budgets, schedules and performance requirements as required.
- Frequently interacts with direct manager, subordinate supervisors, internal customers and external contacts and/or other functional peer group managers
- May interact with senior management (Sr. Director, VP)
- Ability to collaboratively work across functional areas
- Ability to prepare and conduct presentations of technical information within the department and across functional areas
Technical & Project Responsibilities
- Manage site’s Process, Mechanical, Automation and CAD related needs for capital projects, operational support and continuous improvements.
- Develop and maintain the short term and long term strategic plan for Process, Mechanical and Automation related items.
- Responsible for small to medium capital projects. Monitors project budgets and schedules for trends and compliance to budget
- Provide technical direction/leadership for his direct staff.
- Act as technical lead on large/ complex projects and initiatives involving process automation.
- Provide support and perfor work in accordance with internal SOPs and good Engineering Practices, and ensuring compliance with the following regulations: GAMP, cGMP, MIOSHA, EPA, DEQ, and all other applicable State and Federal codes.
- Works with the Automation Team to develop the plan to implement consistent, cost-effective, supportable automation technology solutions and standards for the Lansing campus.
- Represent Engineering team during FDA and other regulatory agency inspections
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by those in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, and other duties may be assigned.
Education, Experience & Skills
- Bachelors of Science degree in Engineering – preferably Mechanical, Chemical or Electrical.
- Training in project management
- 7 years experience in the biotech industry.
- 5 year of experiencerequired in direct supervision of personnel or 3 years indirect management such as CAPEX project management desired.
- Detailed knowledge of facilities, systems, and infrastructure within an industrial setting.
- Strong oral, written, and listening communication skills.
- Must be able to provide clear direction while motivating teams.
- Must lead by example through strong work ethics and high standards.
- Desire to continue to promote personal development.
- Proficient with computer applications such as Microsoft Suite.
- Must possess the ability to influence supporting departments.
- Must be able to receive constructive feedback and adapt to change within a dynamic environment.
- Must be tenacious while maintaining integrity and self-awareness.
- Must be able to adapt to change viewing obstacles as opportunities.
- Advanced training in engineering, business or project management
- Member of PMI, ISPE, ASME, or AICHE
- EIT, PE, CAPM, PMP or LEED certification
- Familiar with pharmaceutical industry guidelines such as ISPE Baseline Guides, ISO and ASME BPE
- Experience in a pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, and consumer products process company or food industry.
- Experience in a federally regulated industry.
- Knowledge of CAD software and equipment.
- Working knowledge of CSI divisions.
- Working knowledge of SAP.
- Familiarity with FDA regulations relating to biologic and drug products.
- Familiarity with FDA current Good Manufacturing Practices.