Engineering Manager - People Technology
Expedia revolutionizes travel through the power of technology. Across the globe, our brands make travel easier for millions of people who want to step out of their homes and into the world. We’re a talented and focused team from all over the world – with 20,000 + employees, in over 30 countries. Together we seek new ideas, innovative ways of thinking, diverse backgrounds and approaches, because averages can lie and sameness is dangerous.
As an Engineering Manager in People Technology, you will provide coaching and leadership for a group of engineers in teams passionate about building our People Services and People Data products and infrastructure. You will be challenged to work in a dynamic environment consisting of multiple product-aligned teams delivering innovation and optimizations for the Human Resources department. With your experience, technical skillset, and passion for coaching and motivating others, you and your team will create the components and experiences that enable Human Resource's vision of a delightful employee experience across Expedia.
- Guide and coach a team to successfully deliver on lofty goals with speed and quality.
- Promote development of maintainable and thoroughly tested code.
- Ensure your team is following coding standards and engineering excellence practices.
- Provide ongoing, real-time feedback to engineers on your team to promote their growth; partner with technical product managers to collect feedback and lead team progress toward goals.
- Communicate clearly to product managers, partners and engineers to remove ambiguity from larger projects;
- Provide high level engineering estimates, manage resources and drive delivery.
- Collaborate with architects and engineers in defining intelligent solutions that incorporate data insights as well as your technical perspective in furthering the product and business.
- Work across organizational boundaries (brands, divisions) to collaborate with other technology teams to solve complex, integrated problems.
- 7+ years software development experience in enterprise software
- Proven experience in leadership and team building
- The utmost passion for both technology and leadership
- BS degree in Computer Science or related discipline
- Expertise in agile software development methodologies and their adoption within teams
- Excellent communication and organizational skills - able to translate between technical and business group, bring forward a vision or opinion
- Ability to lead multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, prioritize decisions and tasks effectively, and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Understanding of trade-offs of architectural patterns and comfort in recommending approaches and associated technology choices