The Manager of Engineering is accountable for leading the Company’s Engineering Department through the formulation, administration and execution of company annual operating plans and budgets consistent with company objectives, government regulations and current technology. The successful candidate must have the vision and ability to make well formulated or immediate decisions, where necessary, related to Engineering and design of Gas Distribution system facilities to meet Federal and State regulations, Company Policies, customer needs, system reliability and safety, growth demands and effectively manage the Company’s DIMP and Gas System Enhancement Program.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides leadership, direction of decisions related to distribution system modifications, project design, procedures, system upgrades, replacements, etc., and ensuring all decisions and design initiatives are in accordance with state and federal codes and in compliance with Company’s Operations & Maintenance Plan.
- Demonstrates ethical, professional conduct at all times; complies with the Liberty Utilities Code of Ethics and demonstrates a high standard of safety.
- Provides leadership and direction, including goal setting in the Distribution System Engineering Department, interacts regularly and directly with all levels of management, with city and state representatives including consulting specialists.
- Interacts regularly and directly with city and state representatives, legal representatives and consultants.
- Oversees the company’s distribution mapping system, related records and data bases, including the distribution system operating model.
- Provides direction and completes, where necessary, the design of new main extensions, relocations, replacements, commercial and industrial service lines and meter sets.
- Supports the Engineering team in the proper and compliant generation of cost estimates for work orders, permitting, regulatory reporting requirements, asset documentation and record retention.
- Provides leadership in the management of main replacement project prioritization for the GSEP program while aligning those priorities with the company’s DIMP Program and related municipal projects. (NOTE: The GSEP is a 20 year main/service replacement program with over 10 miles of main planned to be replaced annually).
- Produces reports and budget analyses for supporting the filing of the GSEP cost recovery submittals to the state regulatory agencies.
- Prepare and provide testimony or other related presentations to support company initiatives including, but not limited to the company’s GSEP program and the Distribution System Integrity Management Program
- Supports the review of city and state construction plans to identify conflicts or improvement opportunities with existing or planned gas distribution facilities.
- Responsible for making decisions that have a financial impact and consolidates the annual capital construction budget. .
- Frequently interacts with external customers, vendors, city engineers, and provides prompt, efficient, courteous service to both internal and external customers etc.
- Maintains regular attendance in accordance with Company policies; complies with related Liberty Utilities policies, procedures, and practices.
MARGINAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs other duties and tasks as determined by Liberty Utilities to be in the best interest of the Company and customers served.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Related training, education and experience will be considered.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, or related discipline.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of Massachusetts or licensed in another state preferred.
- Requires experience with drafting and GIS software (e.g., CAD, Smallworld, ESRI).
- 5 Years’ experience in Gas Distribution System design, engineering and planning, 10 Years’ experience preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and practical experiences in all types of management skills as this position requires interaction with all levels of Company employees and outside constituents.
- Ability to analyze data, design concepts and interpreting the results to yield varying outcomes that have an ultimate positive impact on overall Company operations.
- Experience in determining project scope, cost estimations, scheduling and required specifications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of gas system design, equipment, construction, operations and industry codes.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to interact and engage with others.
- Willingness and ability to travel and with such frequency as necessary or desirable to meet business needs.
- Critical thinking skills; ability to analyze, develop action plans and solve complex issues.
- Strong project management and presentation skills.
- Ability to work with a high degree of initiative, self direction, attention to detail,, work under pressure, effectively meet deadlines and perform duties onsite and offsite.
- Work extended hours, including weekends and holidays as necessary to meet business goals and needs.
EQUIPMENT TYPICALLY USED TO PERFORM THE JOB:
- Operation of office machinery and other electronic devices.
- Utilization of personal computers, including but not limited to Microsoft office products.
- Operate company vehicles, must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Utilization and manipulation of GIS systems, e.g. Smallworld, ESRI.
- Utilization and manipulation of Distribution System Modeling Software, e.g. GL Noble (Stoner).