Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, schedule and coordinate internal and external software development activities of team members involved in the design and testing of assigned software components.
- Contribute to architecture design of software-controlled systems.
- Decompose architecture designs into software functions.
- Translate user needs, product requirements and quality system requirements into software specifications.
- Document software designs and create design control documents.
- Integrate software with prototype and pre-production units.
- Plan and execute unit and verification testing at module/unit and system levels.
- Troubleshoot system issues and failures, determine root cause and work with cross functional teams to correct.
- Represent R&D Systems Development in cross-functional initiatives, as assigned by Management, and action on behalf of team as appropriate.
- Determine staffing needs, identify and select staff, ensure staff are trained.
- Provide leadership to software team by participating in employee performance reviews, providing coaching and mentorship to staff, resolving conflicts and communication problems, proactively promoting and supporting employee development initiatives, and promoting cross-functional collaboration and teamwork.
Occasional Duties and Responsibilities
- Up to 20% travel may be required.
- Demonstrated experience of at least 5 years in embedded software development.
- Demonstrated record of success producing software to control electro-mechanical systems.
- Proficient in C/C++/C#. Proficiency in SQL and Structured Text Language strongly desired.
- Proficient with Team Foundation Server or similar software lifecycle management system.
- Critical design analysis and troubleshooting, prediction of failure modes and mitigation.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical or software engineering with a minimum of eight years of relevant industry experience, or equivalent advanced degree.
- Five or more years of experience following quality system/design control in software development.
- Five or more years of experience leading people; demonstrated ability to communicate priorities & delegate tasks, motivate others and successfully achieve goals through a team.
- Ability to use computers daily in an interactive manner for extended periods of time, up to 8 hours per day.
- Ability to travel (by land and air), both domestically and internationally, on occasion.
- Ability to frequently and accurately communicate with employees, customers, and vendors in person, via the telephone or by email.
- Constant walking or motion to coordinate work and interact with co-workers.