What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
The Manager participates in all aspects of the Division’s information technology strategy and associated systems. This includes the direct management of dedicated delivery resources as well as oversight of all aspects of technology support and operations of the division applications.
Purpose: As a member of the Markel Managed Services leadership team, the Manager is responsible for all aspects of Markel’s global document management systems. This includes the direct management of dedicated delivery resources, partnership with the managed service provider (MSP) as well as oversight of all aspects of technology support and operations pertaining to the team’s business functions. This role directs the planning and implementation of technology related business solutions in order to improve cost effectiveness, service quality, and business development.
The Manager also supports the MSP by ensuring consistent solution delivery and high application availability as established through service level agreements (SLA). The Manager serves in a leadership role within managed services providing oversight of Markel staff and a review of all critical functions ensuring a seamless transition and user experience for the Markel user community.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Reports to the Director, Managed Services
- Provide direction to Markel staff and managed service resources regarding the execution of their functions; Be responsible for all human resource functions, including resource forecasting, budgeting and all relevant governance requirements
- Support the MSP in coordinating client facing activities, ensuring a consistently high user experience by creating a positive environment, demonstrating and imparting Markel values into the agreement
- Responsible for supporting the MSP in developing and delivering written and verbal reports to stakeholders on progress and performance of the managed service agreement
- Responsible for working with MSP in resolving critical or complex production issues as requested
- Assist the MSP in identification and delivery of continuous improvement opportunities for standardization, increased efficiency, cost reduction and increased quality to positively impact identified SLAs
- Responsible for ensuring all new development requests are captured, evaluated and coordinated with the appropriate business leads to ensure timely prioritization of new requests
- Supervise recruitment, development, retention, and organization of all managed staff in accordance with corporate budgetary and policy requirements
- Implements and maintains the necessary controls and procedures to cost-effectively protect information systems assets from intentional or inadvertent modification, disclosure, or destruction
- Provides guidance and direction for the protection of information systems assets to other areas as needed
- A minimum of 7 years of experience leading high performing delivery teams
- Experience managing an IT budget and demonstrated ability to control costs while improving delivery
- Strong business acumen with excellent execution and delivery skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with strong written and oral communication skills
- Prior experience working in a managed services environment a plus
- Prior experience consolidating systems and leading document retention strategies a plus
- Prior insurance experience preferably within property and casualty a plus
- Prior experience with ImageRight or OnBase document management systems a plus
- Proven experience as a change agent transforming inefficiencies and conflicting technologies into a well-organized, cohesive technology platform
- Experience working in an acquisition minded environment with the ability to scale technologies, people and process with the growth of the business a plus
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.