BigCommerce a Best and Brightest Companies to Work For ‘2017’ is looking for a Manager, Developer Productivity who is a strong leader with equally impressive people and technical skills. You will take responsibility for several areas core to making our global teams move with velocity, including:
- Local development environments: building a stable and fast environment for engineers to work on our platform as we have an increasingly complex services-oriented architecture
- Quality engineering: leading the evolution of how we test including frameworks, test performance, and continuous integration
- Tools: Evaluating and implementing tools which help teams get stuff done
This is a person who wants to build a new high performing Engineering team from scratch and is passionate about empowering engineers to achieve the best work of their careers. You’ll need a mix of engineering disciplines in your toolbelt to work across our many languages, environments, and platforms. You’ll also be hands on and a problem solver that is excited to make engineering at BigCommerce best in class.
What you’ll do:
Work closely with our engineering leaders to:
- Identify bottlenecks in our existing software, infrastructure, and quality engineering practices.
- Build, lead and hire a high-calibre team of software engineers to solve these problems while being hands on.
- Help teams around the company adopt and embrace new practices, especially in quality engineering.
- Encourage innovation and foster an environment of continuous improvement.
- Ensure that technical decisions support our goals of quality, performance, scalability, reliability, availability, and security.
- Be both, a highly technical hands-on coder and an effective people manager.
- Hold your own in technical discussion, be a subject matter expert, and have strategic influence.
- Establish team objectives in alignment with business goals.
- Organise and facilitate regular 1:1’s with your team for coaching and mentoring.
- Make recommendations to management with regards to team performance.
- Execution of performance improvement plans for underperformers.
- Continued enforcement of best practices to improve engineering quality and efficiency.
- Establish a sense of urgency and direction, set expectations.
Who you are:
- 5+ years experience in building systems in PHP, Node.js, Ruby, Scala or similar multi-paradigm programming languages.
- 2+ years in driving and retaining a high performance team of full-stack, back-end, and front-end software engineers.
- Passionate about e-commerce.
- Experience in successfully building, leading and developing a high-performing global teams. Understands and accounts for regional and cultural differences.
- Experience with relational database systems and external services integrations.
- Experience with backend development.
- Experience in working in Agile development teams.
- Experience building or managing distributed and/or SOA architectures.
- Experience with SaaS platforms or Cloud Computing highly desirable
- Solid UNIX / LAMP knowledge (ideally 2+ years working experience with PHP, MySQL, and Linux)
- Experience with Agile methodologies, in particular SCRUM, XP, Kanban
- BS/MS in computer science or equivalent experience.
Other crucial skills:
- Have an excellent ability to communicate and to coordinate
- Will speak up when something just doesn’t feel right with productive feedback
- Have excellent problem solving, critical thinking and debugging skills.
- Has strong bias to action and drive to make a difference