The American Chemical Society is looking for a Manager, Decision Support to join the Membership & Society's Services Division.
The American Chemical Society’s Membership & Society Services Division is responsible for recruiting, retaining and recognizing members. A critical component of the Division is the Membership department, which is responsible for developing and driving the engagement and member value for ACS’s 150,000 members worldwide. Similarly, the Department leads an ACS-wide effort to ensure that the benefits of Society membership are recognized as an essential element of success and value for future generations of chemists worldwide.
The Manager, Decision Support is responsible for member and marketplace research that drives insights into member value and strategy. The Decision Support unit plays a critical role in ensuring the future success of the Membership & Society Services Division by providing key business insights and answering essential business questions that lead to membership growth and effective and efficient member support. The position also provides guidance and solutions to otherinternal groups helping to set directions and strategies for their own products. The Manager leads and mentors a team of three to accomplish the development and execution of the data analytics, research, surveys, and evaluation instruments and works closely with the other units in the Membership Department to create a delightful membership experience. The Manager, Decision Support reports to the Director of Membership.
• Leads the development and implementation of decision support and business intelligence products, analytics, and research for the Division of Membership & Society Services
• Serves as the membership lead in efforts to unify membership records, registration lists, renewal decisions, and the like to identify an ideal data structure and create a common database of information.
• Leads efforts to segment data, model data, and build predictive models and forecasts.
• Examines, analyzes, and mines databases to answer research questions and proactively identify emergent trends and outcomes.
• Leads the analysis of other large datasets from across the organization and division.
• Oversees the surveying and evaluation of ACS programs, products, and services including meetings and member-serving portfolio offerings.
• Using research tools and datasets, works to determine the membership value derived from Society programs, products, and services.
• Conducts, analyzes, and reports on findings from membership survey instruments including salary, employment and member demographic information.
• Builds, maintains, and manages dashboards and calculates other key performance metrics for the Division.
• Manages relationships with outside contractors and agency partners related to the decision making process to ensure effective use of ACS resources.
• Works in conjunction with the other leads in the Membership Department to gather, analyze, and act upon information from various sources.
• Understands the organization and possesses savvy to respond appropriately to research requests from stakeholder groups and provide a diplomatic decision on appropriate course of action.
• Serves as the internal expert on evaluations, surveys, and business intelligence for many of the organization’s products.
• Possesses excellent communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with key ACS stakeholders including senior governance members and the executive leadership team.
• Mentors and manages a team of three to achieve goals and support the organization in making decisions.
• Oversees and understands the budgets and resources devoted to these activities.
• Travels as necessary to support the development of these strategies and their implementations.
• Possibly supports one or more ACS governance committee(s) by serving as a staff liaison.
• Other duties as assigned.
College degree or equivalent experience; usually has an advanced degree or equivalent experience or certification; 8+ years of experience with previous staff supervision preferred. Experience working in a not-for-profit environment is desirable. Experience with data analysis, dataset management, and/or database creation highly preferred. Experience with customer segmentation, data analytics, market research, and/or data warehousing desirable. Research expertise both quantitative and qualitative desired. Project/program management and resource management experiencedesired.