The Critical Projects Implementation (CPI) team is a project management and execution team that manages construction activity within the operational data center spaces. The CPI team is tasked with critical infrastructure improvement projects to optimize utilization of space, power, and cooling within operational data centers around the globe. These activities are outside of the scope of standard construction delivery and regular preventative maintenance tasks.
The CPI Team is seeking a Manager to oversee a team of Data Center Project Engineers and serve as a liaison between our internal operational and business customers. Ideal candidates are energetic, strategic thinkers, and possess the ability to develop and deploy innovative solutions to address team challenges. This role requires a hands on approach to management that starts with understanding the problem and working with customers and partners to solve it. The candidate will have a high bar for quality, must have written and verbal communication skills, and must be able to leverage data to drive improvements within their team. The scope of projects that the team will manage include improvement of electrical, mechanical, fire systems, and building automation systems. A fundamental understanding of these systems is required, as the manager will be expected to technically understand the work the team executes on a regular basis.
You will be required to manage the project workload and throughput of your team, prioritizing projects based on the impact to the business. You will be responsible for developing and sharing metrics that pertain to the team's deliverables as well as managing the teams' results against established deadlines. You will help drive improvements by working with partner teams to eliminate waste, increasing productivity and coach your team to do the same by delegating tasks and utilizing individual strengths.
If you are passionate about the Customer Experience; you think and act globally; and you want to contribute to the operational excellence of Amazon data centers, then this may be the challenge you have been looking for! Only those who have worked within a data center environment need apply.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Herndon, VA, USA
- 5+ years' experience managing and building project management teams of 5+ direct reports, including hiring, mentoring, and coaching. Responsibilities include managing the work of a project team to include scope, cost, schedule, staffing, and project deliverables.
- 5+ years' experience working in data centers and/or mission critical facilities.
- 3+ years' experience managing contractors including overseeing specific work activities, adhering to specific safety measures and evaluating contractor quality of work.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Management, Marketing, Engineering, Construction Management OR 4+ years' experience working on critical projects within a critical infrastructure environment.
- Demonstrated ability to succeed in an ambiguous environment and ability to motivate yourself, your managers, and associates to deliver against deadlines.
- Fundamental understanding of power distribution and data center mechanical cooling systems.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and discuss technical concepts, manage trade-offs, incorporate feedback, and evaluate opportunistic new ideas with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience successfully delivering results in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Proven record of accomplishment for developing a vision, defining a strategy, and building programs and features solving complicated problems with elegant, simple solutions.
- Attention to detail with the ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously.
- Proven record of accomplishment leading projects and team goals by taking ownership and driving results.
- Analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations and decisions.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world's most comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud platform. We pioneered cloud computing and never stopped innovating - that's why customers from the most successful startups to Global 500 companies trust our robust suite of products and services to power their businesses.
Here at AWS, it's in our nature to learn and be curious. Our employee-led affinity groups foster a culture of inclusion that empower us to be proud of our differences. Ongoing events and learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences, inspire us to never stop embracing our uniqueness.
We value work-life harmony. Achieving success at work should never come at the expense of sacrifices at home, which is why flexible work hours and arrangements are part of our culture. When we feel supported in the workplace and at home, there's nothing we can't achieve in the cloud.
We're continuously raising our performance bar as we strive to become Earth's Best Employer. That's why you'll find endless knowledge-sharing, mentorship and other career-advancing resources here to help you develop into a better-rounded professional.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.