The Strategic Planner will serve as a creative and strategic liaison between internal Illumina stakeholders (clients) and the Illumina internal agency (The Nucleus). This is a new role within the Nucleus, and it requires Strategic Planning expertise from an advertising agency.
This role is integral in assessing client campaigns and programs and applying industry insights and marketing best practices to develop inspiring and impactful creative briefs.
The ideal candidate is a creative, analytical, collaborative, team-oriented individual with a solid understanding of digital marketing, communications, advertising, sales, and event marketing. The role requires a high-level of collaboration, influence, and partnership with internal teams in a highly matrixed organization.
- Build out the strategic planning function including developing processes, establishing best practices, educating stakeholders on marketing planning
- Use extensive account planning knowledge to guide discussions with clients to ensure key insights are identified, positioning is differentiated, messaging is impactful, and strategic questions are answered
- Craft creative and tactical briefs with clear, persuasive goals and positioning that span the entirety of a campaign or program that inspire and enable science writers, creative copywriters, and art directors to develop compelling ideas that may be applied across a variety of channels
- Keep current on industry knowledge, trends, and research to identify opportunities with target audiences and bring fresh ideas to internal teams and clients
- Collaborate with internal business partners, project managers, creative directors, art directors, copywriters, science writers, graphic designers, digital teams and production teams across multiple projects
- Deliver campaign ideas and activations across all content and channels (events, digital, print, and social)
- Communicate ideas, POVs, and strategies to clients and the Nucleus clearly and effectively
- Uses data insights to optimize strategies and tactics
Preferred Educational Background:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, MBA, or equivalent business experience preferred
- Experience in life science field is preferred
- 8+ years' experience in marketing communications or advertising as a strategic planner or strategist or creative strategist with an advertising agency, preferably in life sciences or healthcare
- Demonstrated ability to write clear and inspiring briefs, presentations, and POVs to guide creative teams
- Integrated planning experience across omni-channel campaigns with content and digital expertise
- Master at distilling, formatting, and packaging information in a useful, relevant, and inspiring way
- Ability to gather and synthesize data into key insights and strategies and clearly communicate and apply them to marketing programs
- Excellent reasoning ability: Define problems, collect information, ask the right questions, and then act based upon information
- Proven ability to build relationships with clients and internal teams in a highly matrixed cross-functional organization
- Strong strategic thinking and problem-solving skills
- Able to move fluidly between intuition and rigor to solve complex marketing problems
- Comfortable working in a fast paced and fluid environment.
- Desires to be part of a creative environment in a client management role
- Strong influencing, communication, and storytelling skills