If you're passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country—and you're committed to working hard to play your part in building that future—consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
The WGU program manager works to ensure employee success. In addition to his or her daily administrative responsibilities the program manager leads and supervises a team of Course Instructors and is responsible for the professional development and performance of its members.
The program manager works closely with members of the WGU management team to understand and inform university policies and procedures. He or she develops and conducts team- and program-specific course faculty training programs, collaborating with others to achieve efficiency while ensuring quality and consistency.
The program manager is available and accountable to members of his or her team and is responsible for the success of its members. The program manger demonstrates WGU's "students-first" culture and leads his or her team of Instructors, by example. He or she establishes clear performance expectations and manages assigned mentor performance consistent with university goals and job requirements. Additionally, the program manager effectively performs the duties of a faculty member when serving assigned students.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Establishes clear performance expectations for, and with input from, assigned course instructors.
- Manages course instructors performance to achieve organizational goals and initiatives.
- Conducts course instructors performance reviews and manages performance improvement plans.
- Develops and leads team- and program-specific training initiatives.
- Coaches assigned course instructors via call shadowing and other training methods.
- Monitors team morale. Ensures that course faculty are connected and engaged with each other.
- Leads weekly team meetings. Designs and leads quarterly, in-office training meetings.
- Effectively serves both assigned students and assigned course instructors.
- Provides direct, comprehensive guidance to assigned students and assigned course instructors.
- Maintains appropriate documentation of all student- and employee-related transactions.
- Manages students' academic progress according to university policies.
- Maintains regular communication with students according to university protocol when needed.
- Uses the telephone and email extensively throughout the day.
- Understands WGU degree programs, policies, and procedures.
- Provides accurate information and high quality customer service at all times.
- Is a member of the Course Instructors Department's Leadership Team. Participates in department planning, hiring, and training initiatives.
- Supports university colleagues as necessary
- Travel is required
- MSN in Nursing
- Terminal Degree Required (Ph.D., DNP, etc.)
- RN is a requirement for this position
- 3 + years experience leading, developing and mentoring a team of 8 plus employees to achieve goals or comparable experience for internal WGU candidates.
- Experience working with adult learners and distance learning environments preferred
- Understanding and appreciation of competency based education model
- Experience leading teams focused on student support and instruction
- Documented use of technology based educational delivery systems
- Demonstrated ability to work with struggling or at-risk students
- Demonstrated ability to function in a leadership and guiding role that enhances student achievement toward educational goals in a competency based learning environment
- Track record for effective coaching and communication skills with a widely diverse student population
- Track records for effective communication and collaboration with a diverse professional population of WGU colleagues, partners, and stakeholder professional integrity that represent the educational standards within higher education