At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Manager, Counsel - Regulatory/AdvisoryThe Regulatory Advisory Group is seeking attorneys who enjoy working in a fast-paced and ever-changing legal environment to support the US Card Customer Resiliency group. The current consumer protection and creditor's rights landscape is challenging, highly litigious, and quickly evolving. A lot is at stake and the rules are often vague. We are looking for candidates who can join a group of results-oriented team players who are not afraid to run to the risk and take ownership. At the same time, we want team members who can keep a level-head and sense of humor.
- Oversee outside collection counsels' litigation portfolio, customer treatment, and business practices;
- Track the ever-changing statutory and regulatory environment on the national, state, and local level to analyze trends, identify proposed changes, and potentially work with outside groups to influence decision-makers;
- Partner with the business to support new initiatives;
- Supervise an amazing team of legal specialists to quickly identify, manage, and deal with risks; and
- Provide advice to various lines of business within Customer Resiliency.
These positions will require regular interaction with outside counsel, Capital One business members, Legal Department subject matter experts, and senior line-of-business attorneys.
The Successful Candidate Will Have:
- Litigation experience (preferably including financial services, or financial services regulatory government experience)
- Ability to support business partners and effectively identify risks and mitigation options
- Ability to oversee and provide direction to outside counsel
- Ability to advise in ambiguous circumstances
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to manage a large volume of work, including complex legal issues that may arise suddenly
- Ability to prioritize a significant volume of projects and requests with multiple, simultaneous deadlines
- Ability and willingness to work as a team player, with comfort interacting with others across departments and job levels
- Ability to make effective, integrated decisions; and to collaborate effectively with others at all levels in the company
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, ambiguous, fluid environment with minimal supervision
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school
- Active member in good standing of at least one state bar
- At least 3 years of commercial litigation or regulatory law firm experience OR at least 3 years financial services regulatory government experience
- Knowledge of, and proficiency with, financial and consumer protection laws (e.g., FDCPA, FCRA, UDAAP, and state debt collection laws)
- Complex commercial litigation experience
- At least 4 years of commercial litigation or regulatory law firm experience OR at least 4 years financial services regulatory government experience