Sallie Mae is a company created with great purpose. We make the dream of higher education a reality. We do it by being a resource for families who want to save, plan, and pay for college. Our vision, to be a trusted financial partner, inspires us to explore new ways to serve our customers every day. No matter what position you hold at Sallie Mae, you'll have a role in moving us toward that vision.
Over the last 40 years, Sallie Mae has helped more than 34 million Americans pay for college. The same passion we have for helping customers is applied to helping our employees achieve professional and personal growth. With a wide range of opportunities available, we invite you to join our growing team and help students make their dreams of higher education a reality.
The Corporate Communications Manager manages proactive and reactive media relations activities, as well as coordinates various corporate-related projects. The Corporate Communications Manager supports primary corporate spokespersons for company and writes news releases, messages, and other materials focusing on various consumer based topics for the company.
This position manages relationships with the media (personal finance, higher education, business and college and high school reporters) and other external parties. As a corporate spokesperson on consumer topics, this position works closely with senior management and across teams to represent the corporation and its positions to external audiences.
This position identifies and implements strategies for potential media growth. The Corporate Communications Manager also helps develop and maintain the company's newsroom on SallieMae.com.
Exercises judgment within defined procedures and policies to determine appropriate action. Frequently interacts with functional peer groups. Interaction normally requires the ability to gain cooperation of others. May lead a cooperative effort among members of the immediate business team and/or be a key participant in a larger project initiative.
Media Relations - 70%
- Drafts news releases, messages, pitches, and other external communications on saving, planning, and paying for college topics. Serves as contact with business, personal finance, education and college reporters. Addresses incoming inquiries from media and other external parties and coordinates response. Seeks out opportunities to strengthen and build relationships with reporters covering saving, planning, and paying for college topics.
- Responsible for the execution and administration of department goals and objectives. Ensures team works in compliance with applicable Sallie Mae policies, procedures, and processes. May be assigned as a project lead for various projects and/or asked to participant as a key participant on relevant business area project.
Project Management/Other - 30%
- Manages the production of fact sheets and press kits to support public relations efforts. Provide backup media monitoring and analysis as needed. Meets regularly with manager to communicate team progress towards business area objectives. Establishes cross-functional business area relationships to influence collaboration in implementing new initiatives and/or recommendations to resolve identified issues, deficiencies, and/or exceptions. Helps manages online newsroom and corresponding web properties assigned to Corporate Communications. Helps manage outside PR agencies and other external vendors.
- Bachelor's Degree in Public Relations/Communications or other related field
- 5-7 years Communications experience preferably working in a financial services environment
- 2-3 years Project managementexperience
- 1-2 years Leadership experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to assess information/data, apply knowledge and weigh alternative for best results
- Excellent oral/written communication skills with the demonstrated ability to effectively articulate complex issues to all audience levels
- Solid understanding of Education and Training concepts
- Strong presentation skills with the proven ability to present complex material in a clear, concise manner to senior management and external regulators
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities in a time-sensitive, fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability provide leadership for a project team and/or participate as a key participant
- Demonstrated ability to effectively motivate others to influence appropriate behaviors in achieving department and company goals
- Proficient with Microsoft applications