The Control and Automation manager is responsible for leading a team composed primarily of software and electrical engineers in designing, developing, and releasing software solutions as well as designing, selecting, layout, and testing of electrical control and feedback systems for automated, networked, decontamination devices. He/she takes ownership of all control system project deliverables (cost, performance, time, quality) from inception to delivery, including limited field support. The manager is also responsible for maintaining and developing the skills and knowledge of the control and automation team members. Additionally, they establish and improve the procedures, standards, and tools used by the team.
- Leads software development efforts for new product development projects/initiatives as well as special sales orders. Coordinates and assigns the work of the control and automation team on these projects, ensuring adherence to schedule, budget, and performance.
- Trains and coaches software and electrical engineers in developing core competencies. Develops a team culture of precise and timely delivery of results. Develops and implements processes and tools to aid in continuous improvement of software development and electrical best practices.
- Work as a collaborative team member in sustaining engineering and new product development projects. Collaborates with groups outside of direct responsibilities including otherengineering teams, Quality, Regulatory, Marketing, etc. for project planning, analysis of product requirements. May serve as a cross-functional leader on a project team.
- Directs the software development process documentation to include requirements, design, and interface specifications, verification documentation and reports.
- Leads design reviews to identify issues and provide input to design recommendations.
- Reviews submitted change requests and defects and assigns them to project team members.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Travel up to 10% (including international)
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or ElectricalEngineering
Duties - cont'd
- Requires 10+ years of related engineeringexperience.
- Prefer minimum of 7 to 10 years previous management experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Software Engineering, ElectricalEngineering, or Physics required. (A degree in anotherEngineering discipline may be acceptable with proven software education and/or training and demonstrated software experience.)
- Advanced degree is desirable
- 5+ years experience in project team leadership including software project planning (scope definition, effort estimation, task allocation, schedule creation and tracking) with a track record of delivering on commitments.
- PMP Certification or training in project management is desirable.
- Proven experience of leading a software team from concept through commercialization to include demonstrated ability to provide technical leadership, oversight, and coaching to team members.
- Capable of solving complex engineering problems through accurate interpretation of requirements and test results.
- Exceptional team player and technical leader.
- Experience in software project leadership is required.
- Experience performing software requirement analysis and definition. Proven skills in working with stakeholders to refine product requirements to be realized in software.
- Experience in the implementation of infrastructure and applications for Manufacturing, Installation, and Serviceability.
- Extensive knowledge of PLC-based control systems and communication protocols.
- Solid experience with networked SCADA systems
- In-depth knowledge of hardware platforms/targets and networks is required.
- Practical experience in C/C++, object-oriented analysis and programming, and multi-threaded/multi-tasking programming.
- Understanding of agile development for a resource-constrained environment with specific performance requirements is desired.
- Experience in User Interface (UI)/Human Machine Interface (HMI) development is required, which may include HMI touch screens or Graphical UIs.
- Understanding of electrical compliance standards and best design practices for electrical and control assemblies.
- Experience in organizing and/or designing industrial control equipment for international markets.
- Understanding of usability / human factors is desired.
- Demonstrated knowledge of software quality assurance methodologies such as software testing, code inspection and reviews is required. Development of automated test configurations is preferred.
- Experience using software integrated development environments (IDEs) and tools to include configuration management (version control), defect management, continuous integration, and code analysis tools is desired.
- Leadership of continuous improvement efforts in software processes and tools such as the implementation of a new tool or process. Knowledge of software development standards such as the IEEE series, IEC-62304, etc.
- Experience with medical device development is desired and/or experiences in working in a regulated industry, which require formalized software development processes and software risk management.
- Knowledge and use of LeanSix Sigma / Reliability best practices is desired.
- Strong Interpersonal skills