The Manager, Contract Manufacturing will be responsible for executing and leading daily procurement activities that include identifying and developing suppliers that are qualified to meet all applicable quality, price and lead time requirements in a manufacturing environment and working with other managers and cross functional co-workers to develop enhanced processes and procedures to improve the department's overall performance level.
This role will be based in Chicago but will require travel to domestic and international supplier partners, (i.e mainland China and various locations across North and Central America).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Expert at clean sheet / should-cost modeling (material, labor, overhead, candy, freight) for confections and or novelty manufacturing
- Strong understanding in lean manufacturing principles, contract manufacturing, contract packaging, fulfillment
- Work with Contract Manufacturing team, Marketing and Sales on the commercialization of new and/or updated products; responsible for understanding project and timeline, completing documentation and communicating to internal and external stakeholders. Super-user for all commercialization tools.
- Understand federal and local laws, and suppliers' compliance with these rules, regulations, laws; work closely with Corporate Social Responsibility partners to eradicate risk from supply chain;
- Identify new local suppliers based on their capabilities and availability of product formats, assist in competitive "tear-down" analysis when needed
- Attend trade shows for supplier identification
- General understanding of international freight (ocean, air), customs clearance requirements, in-country-logistics and warehousing dynamics. Support home office team members with export shipment related documentation & logistical planning
- Support Design-to-Value initiatives that generate cost savings and value creation
- Work Closely with Global Supplier Quality and Food Safety & Quality Assurance team members to implement major CAPA initiatives (manufacturing related CAPAs), and act as in-country representative for supplier audits conducted by Ferrara employees or third party employees.
- Align with Research & Development and Packaging Engineering for concept creation, commercialization, and production related needs
- Act as the local representative in government applications or dealings and regulatory affairs
- Ensures adherence to all company policies and procedures.
- Understands and demonstrates the Company's core values.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Strong project and time management skills
- Ability to apply a high level of analytical rigor
- Strong corporate communication skills with all levels of the supplier organizations
- Self-starter who is proactive and identifies critical business threats and opportunities
- Ability to write and speak standard Mandarin proficiency and converse in Business English fluently
- Ability to have visa approved by the Chinese government for travel to suppliers
- Operates with the highest of integrity, will not engage in bribery, will reject gifts, entertainment and corporate hospitality, or unfair trade practices in line with the Ferrara Candy Code of Conduct
- Ability to travel extensively around the United States, Asia, and Europe upon request
- Ability to develop and deliver first class fact-based presentations internally and externally
Education and Experience
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Masters or certification preferred
- 5+ years of work experience
- SAP / ERP experience required
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to travel as required to achieve results