As a PayPal Manager, Compliance, SAR, you will be a part of PayPal's Global Financial Crimes (GFC) organization, tasked with ensuring that activity within the PayPal system is compliant with Anti-Money Laundering regulations and guidelines. You will be managing a team of professional investigators responsible for execution of our AML program. You will provide oversight, people development and management, as well as strategic program direction from alert generation up to and including the filing of Suspicious Activity Reports (SAR) to local regulators such as FinCEN, CSSF, AUSTRAC, FinTRAC, etc.
You will build, develop and coach a team who will investigate customer activity across multiple platforms to ensure that it falls within acceptable parameters established by governing bodies including, but not limited to, the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), the US Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). You will help drive appropriate monitoring and controls in accordance with PayPal's Compliance and Ethics Standards, and obligations to the appropriate regulations, such as the Bank Secrecy and USA PATRIOT Acts, and other governing authorities.
A critical component of your role will be the ongoing development of a high performing team, capable of producing the highest quality work amidst the ever-changing global compliance landscape. You will incorporate effective leadership practices to ensure that your team successfully executes on their obligations and you will be responsible for the quality of their output. You will need to demonstrate the ability to understand opposing points of view within your team and across the organization on highly complex issues and to negotiate and integrate different viewpoints with all levels of GFCC leadership. You will interact with peers and financial crimes risk professionals, all levels of management, and other internal or external constituents in order to deliver comprehensive views on investigative and intelligence matters and represent reasoning of case disposition on behalf of your team.
It will be critical for you to stay current with policy changes, seek ways to enhance current processes and controls, and communicate as much to your team in a complete and transparent manner at all times. You will exercise independent judgement and discretion handling various escalations and scenarios within your team as well as highly sensitive escalations and casework from a variety of sources throughout PayPal.
As a Manager, Compliance, SAR, your responsibilities include:
- Applying analytic techniques to complex information sets from GFC and other adjacent organizations in order to make logical and supported recommendations to leadership and to your direct reports on cases for reporting to Financial Crimes enforcement Network (FinCEN) and/or OFAC. Such investigation decisions are critical to PayPal's fiduciary responsibility under the Bank Secrecy Act (Anti-Money Laundering rules) to effectively monitor customer's activities with regard to detecting and reporting suspicious activity, including the predicate offenses of money laundering and terrorist financing;
- Using best practice coaching/developmental/inspirational practices to ensure that your team is successful in the following daily efforts:
- Conducting end-to-end and exhaustive reviews of potential illegal activity or activity in violation of the regulations or PayPal policies
- Completing a time-sensitive and meticulous analysis of each instance of potential Anti-Money Laundering activity and/or suspicious financial activity across multiple jurisdictions and countries;
- Assessment of customer profiles and large amounts of data to ensure normal and expected activity, including Acceptable Use Policy adherence and Know Your Customer efforts;
- Documenting findings in narrative style format, in the manual and automated process case management system and prepare reports to management as required
- Regularly exercising good judgement and in making decisions or recommendations in relation to case investigations and employee escalations from within your team;
- Working closely with PayPal's People Team to utilize proper corrective action procedures as required;
- Scheduling, preparing, and leading 1:1 coaching, scheduled team learning sessions and leverage other best practices to ensure that you are driving interactive, engaging, and analyst-driven discussions based upon developmental needs of the team;
- Assessing team performance and providing feedback, development opportunities and oversight of action plans aimed at improving performance as needed
- A Bachelor's degree in Finance, Legal, Criminal Justice or a comparable field or equivalent work experience;
- Minimum of 5 years' experience conducting or supervising research and investigations related to Fraud, Anti-Money Laundering, Customer/Enhanced Due Diligence investigation or verifications, Sanctions monitoring;
- Minimum of 2 years managing an organization of investigators or analysts
- Proven ability to analyze large amounts of data in order to report critical information;
- Exceptional oral, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to communicate complex information accurately, clearly and quickly to all levels;
- Ability to lead teams in a manner that encourages analysts to work efficiently with an attention to detail in investigations, analysis, and writing;
- Ability to understand opposing points of view on highly complex issues and to negotiate and integrate different viewpoints within your team and across the organization;
- Ability to recognize the need for change management initiatives, and the ability to lead these while maintaining and driving engagement throughout the team;
- Interact with peers and financial crimes risk professionals, all levels of management, and other internal or external constituents in order to deliver comprehensive views on investigative and intelligence matters and represent reasoning of case disposition; • High level of professionalism, self-motivation and sense of urgency
- Drive for Results
- Problem Solving
- Written Communications
- Directing Others
- Developing Direct Reports