We exist to help people achieve financial clarity. At Thrivent, we believe money is a tool, not a goal. Driven by a higher purpose at our core, we are committed to providing financial advice, investments, insurance, banking and generosity programs to help people make the most of all they’ve been given.
At our heart, we are a membership-owned fraternal organization, as well as a holistic financial services organization, dedicated to serving the unique needs of our clients. We focus on their goals and priorities, guiding them toward financial choices that will help them live the life they want today—and tomorrow.
The Manager, Compliance has responsibility for management of the Retail Broker Dealer and Investment Advisor Compliance Program which includes: Developing, implementing, or enhancing compliance tools used to monitor sales practices and business processes, where applicable in the program or role; Ensuring compliance with all applicable regulatory rules and regulations, disclosures, training, and program requirements, where applicable in the program or role; Monitoring and evaluating processes to improve efficiency; Mitigate risk and implement best practices consistent with industry standards; where applicable for program and role, incidents and response plans; keeping applicable Compliance Officer apprised of significant compliance events or incidents. A key responsibility of the Manager, Compliance is developing and enhancing compliance tools used to monitor sales practices and business processes.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide work direction to BD/IA Compliance staff. Build and maintain a high-performing team; select, develop, coach, reward and recognize team members
- Where applicable to role and program, responsible for creation, implementation and alignment of oversight compliance program and/or surveillance program for Thrivent and its applicable affiliates with business strategies, operations and processes.
- Conducts in-depth analysis and research of complex compliance related issues and has decision making authority to implement necessary resolutions.
- Where applicable to role and program responsible for implementing the annual internal audit and compliance review and/or RFO/OSJ Compliance inspection in coordination with Enterprise Supervision; Branch exams, surveillance and Field Risk/Training team
- Coordinates due diligence, applicable disclosures, and incident management with appropriate areas of the organization.
- Develops and delivers certain Compliance training to home office and field staff
- Responds to questions, assists with internal and external audit requests, and provides support and education and training to home office and field staff on Compliance related matters, where applicable for entity and role.
- Interprets and applies regulatory/Compliance requirements related to this function
- Implements and enhances employee, third party, and independent contractor compliance with Federal, state laws and regulations rules, along with Thrivent internal policies and due diligence processes.
- Consults and works closely with other business and compliance teams to carry out requirements of program and to assist with enterprise-wide initiatives. Where applicable for program and role, coordinate with Compliance Investigations, Retail Investment Advisor, Member Relations, Compliance Training, Human Resources, Code of Conduct, Privacy, Ant-Money Laundering, and Identity Theft/Fraud offices, Safety & Security, Information Security, and Insurance teams
- Consult and provide resources to internal business partners related to BD/IA strategic projects
- Perform many of the duties and functions of the Compliance Analysts that the position manages such as conducting OSJ Exams, reviewing oversight, etc
Required Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- FINRA Series 7, 24, 53, 63/65 or 66 required or obtained within 90 days of hire/transfer
- Where applicable for role and program, Insurance, Broker-Dealer, Mutual Funds, Variable Products, Privacy, Anti-Money Laundering, Identity Theft, Fraud, and Registered Investment Advisers background and understanding of the financial services and securities regulatory requirements.
- Previous regulatory and/or compliance experience
- Where applicable to role and program, significant (5 plus years) Industry experience related to financial services, insurance, securities and/or investment management.
- Experience (3 plus years) in leading people.
- Where applicable to role and program, demonstrated experiences with trend analysis, incident management, tool implementation, training, and surveillance creation and implementation.
- Ability to travel up to 20 – 30% of the time.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Proven experience working in the Retail Investment Advisory space
- Proven experience working with Financial Planning services and concepts
- Demonstrated experience working with and developing Compliance data analytics
- Proven experience leading enterprise wide projects and initiatives
Other Critical Factors
- Foster Open Communication: strong interpersonal skills, negotiation, and oral and written communication skills
- Use Sound Judgement: creative problem-solving skills, attention to detail and excellent follow-up skills
- Project management, time management, leadership, and the ability to influence others without direct authority
- High level of integrity and ethics
- Analytical skills
- Customer service orientation.
Thrivent provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.