AtMSG we valuediversity and are looking for extraordinary employees of all backgrounds!MSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexualorientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, citizenship, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements,MSG complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in alllocations.
The Manager of Communications will serve as the primary media liaison for the New York Liberty(located in White Plains, NY) and oversee day-to-day promotion of the team and its players. The Manager will facilitate team coverage through traditional and digital media outlets, field incoming media requests, actively pitch feature stories for players, coaches and staff, oversee game day media operations, and travel to away games with the team to serve as on site PR contact.
Day-to-day in-season media relations responsibilities include:
- Write and distribute press releases for player transactions, partnerships, community events
- Regularly maintain and distribute game notes
- Field and respond to incoming media requests
- Pitch feature stories on team players, coaches and staff
- Provide regular updates regarding team news on applicable social mediachannels
- Publish game notes, recaps, feature stories to official team website
- Attend all team practices and adhere to WNBA mandated daily media availability
- Manage game day media relations duties for all home games at Westchester County Center and Madison Square Garden
- Game day responsibilities include – press room and media setup, scheduling and overseeing game night staff, overseeing pregame and postgame media availability with players and coaches, updating and monitoring team social media handles, assisting with local and national television broadcasts
- Create game day and season credentials for staff, media, and visiting teams.
- Compile and deliver all game packets to visiting team’s hotel one day prior to all home games.
- Travel to away games and serve as on site media relations contact and facilitate pregame and postgame media availability
Additional responsibilities include:
- Attend regular meetings and interface with other departments across the organization, including publicity, marketing, community relations, ticket sales, and sponsorships.
- Attend team community events as media contact and create content for team web and social
- Regularly update and maintain the New York Liberty website (staff information, team history, video and photo galleries)
- Update team records, statistics, and player bio information during the offseason
- Aid team management in monitoring media reports, social media metrics, and other communications and PR KPI’s
- Work with team management on developing key messaging, marketing plans, and overall communications plans
- Coordinate annual media training for players, coaches and team staff and executives
- Maintain sensitive and confidential information
Preferred candidates will:
- Film and edit video content which will include interviews with players and coaches, game and archival highlight footage, community and team events.
- Utilize graphic design capabilities to design creative for web, social media, and team publications.
- BA or BS in Communications, public relations, or a related field
- Minimum of 3-5 years of full-time experience working sports public relations and media relations
- Ability to work flexible, non-traditional hours and travel as required
- Very strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize assignments
- Knowledge of social media tools including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat
- Media background that includes conducting interviews, feature writing, and sports coverage
- Understand when to elevate to senior management
- Self-driven, with the ability to work independently
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign)
- Track record in achieving results
- Behavior consistent with MSG values
- Experience with video production and editing (Final Cut Pro X)
- Experience in web editing and html
- Experience in graphic design
Candidates who have completed 60 credits of college-level coursework (representing 2 years), or have shown similar self-development through certifications, trade school coursework, etc. are preferred.
Educational requirements may differ from job to job based on the role.
Requisition ID 18-8878