New York, NY
5 - 7 years
Posted 153 days ago
The Communications Manager will support communications activities for Discovery Communications within the US Business Group of the Discovery Corporate Communications department.
The manager reports to the Communications Director and will be dedicated to driving awareness and positive press exposure for digital, ad sales and consumer products, as well as for corporate initiatives.
The position is based is based in New York City.
1. Support overall communications efforts for digital, ad sales and consumer products, as well as corporate initiatives including writing press releases, compiling media reports and pitching.
3. Write executive personnel announcements, bios and press releases, editing and pitching as needed.
4. Compile weekly corporate activities report distributed to top executives across the company.
5. Help manage all media-related logistical aspects of annual ad sales Upfront event, including press lists, invites, logistics and press materials.
6. Staffs executives at various speaking engagements and cover press interviews.
7. Support internal communications to ensure consistent employee awareness of for the business groups’ programs and initiatives including drafting stories, arranging profiles and updating department pages.
8. Help write pitches and talking points for interviews and story placement. Consistently explore editorial opportunities for increased cable trade press coverage.
9. Manage monthly meetings with internal communications team and support annual reporter events.
10. Keep abreast of media trends and identify external speaking opportunities to broaden executive profiles.
*Bachelor's degreerequired. Communications, journalism or related field preferred.
*6+ years of hands-on communications and media relations experience in media industry.
*Demonstrate ability to work under pressure, meet tight deadlines within budgetary constraints and work on multiple projects simultaneously and autonomously.
*Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills are essential, as is an ability to think creatively and generate new ideas.
*Experience with creating effective pitches and dealing with members of the press.
*Strong attention to detail and responsiveness are critical because of the high visibility of this team’s work within the company.
*Must be an independent, strategic thinker who is a strong team player and willing to take on additional responsibilities as necessary; ability to make judgment calls and offer expert guidance/recommendations to clients on communications efforts.
*Must have legal right to work in the U.S.