Purpose: Achieve a positive external and internal environment through proactive communication and community relations to support the business objectives and customer value journey of Columbia Gas of Massachusetts and meet the NiSource stakeholder commitments.
- External outreach and issues management
- Work with the Columbia Gas of Massachusetts leadership team to develop and implement a strategic, integrated communications plan
- Generate positive media coverage on issues and initiatives, through involvement/support of community activities and employee engagement opportunities
- Develop and foster relationships with community leaders, public safety and other municipal officials in alignment with Operations Center Managers
- Create timely and relevant content for internal and external stakeholders across the companys communications channels, including email, Web and social media
- Work with internal partners to develop strategic communications plans that support business objectives
- Support Operations communications needs in respective areas and provide communications counsel across all organizational levels to ensure consistent employee messaging
- Represent company, as appropriate, as a good corporate citizen through development of solid relationships with key stakeholders and management of the companys philanthropic program
- Issues Identification and Management/Operations Support
- Lead the external affairs efforts for municipal relations relative to impacts to cities and towns from the companys capital program construction projects, operations compliance and OM work.
- Identify the need for, develop and implement communication plans to address external and internal audiences, including strategies, timelines and communications channels ensuring the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities
- In concert with Operations management, develop and maintain positive relationships with key media and executive management to not only support operations, but to leverage their support in dealing with issues and incidents that may negatively impact the company
- Coordinate and help to position the company as one that promotes safety, customer service and reliability - responsibilities include, but are not limited to: coordination of media campaigns on issues as required; coordination of notification of actions to public and elected officials and emergency response 24/7
- Provide strategic external and internal communications support and counsel: facilitate effective relationships with key media; identify opportunities to favorably position the company with market leaders, public and elected officials and key community influencers; strategic support to effectively engage local advertising, sponsorships; identify local charitable giving opportunities that support the companys commitment to its communities and strengthen relationships; crisis communications planning and execution; serve as resource to successfully resolve customer issues generated as constituent requests from public and elected officials. Bring best practice expertise regarding: communications plan development, content for all communications channels, customer perceptions surveys, and overall customer satisfaction and brand perception.Monitor and manage Communications budgets and expenditures, including charitable giving.
- Serve as company spokesperson; promote key messages/issues; maintain positive media relationships
- Work with the Columbia Gas of Massachusetts leadership as appropriate to develop and execute responses to media inquiries
- Be on call 24/7 to serve as company spokesperson, as necessary
- Be knowledgeable and aware of all media outlets and reporters within service territory, as well as issues within the company that may attract media attention
- Generate positive media coverage on company initiatives, industry news, and other company activities
- Manage the daily activities of subordinate Communications staff members; provide subordinate staff with training, guidance and development opportunities.
Key Work Experiences/Education
- Bachelors Degree in communications, public affairs, business administration, or similarly applicable discipline or equivalent work experience
- Five years of experience in communications, media relations, external or customer affairs, or marketing required
- Internal and external communications experiencerequired
- Utility or other regulated industry experiencepreferred
- Social media content/management experiencepreferred
- Media relations experiencerequired
- Technical/Functional Competencies
Required for Selection:
- Excellent relationship-building skills/savvy
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and effectively manage multiple projects at one time
- Ability to analyze and solve problems
- Ability to establish credibility and support the organizations preferences and priorities
- Ability to manage during an emergency situation
- Demonstrated Experience Required for Selection
- Building partnerships: Identifying opportunities and taking action to build strategic relationships
- Building trust: Interacting with others in a way that gives them confidence in ones intentions and those of the organization
- Building Strategic Working Relationships: Developing and using collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of goals
- Initiating Action: Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive
- Strategic Thinking: Obtaining information and identifying key issues and relationships relevant to long-range goal or vision after developing alternatives based on logical assumptions, facts, available resources, constraints and organizational values
- Communication: Clearly conveying information and ideas in a manner that engages the individual or group audience and helps them understand the message
- Adaptability: Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes, adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, process, requirements, or cultures
- Decision making: Identifying and understanding issues, problems and opportunities, comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints and probably consequences
- Contributing to Team Success: Actively participating as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals
- Facilitating Change: Encouraging others to seek opportunities for different and innovative approaches to addressing problems and opportunities; facilitating the implementation and acceptance of change within the workplace
Inclusion & Diversity
Value inclusion within your day to day responsibilities by respecting others perspectives/convictions, engaging others opinions, creating a safe environment where people, ideas, and opinions are valued within your Team/Customers and external partners.
Respect and take into consideration diversity within your Team/Customers and external work partners by valuing different world views, challenges, and cultures that represent all walks of life and all backgrounds.
Treat others with respect and consideration. Actively participate in creating and contributing to a positive work environment.
Job ID : 922269