OCC is the world's largest equity derivatives clearing organization and a key player within the US Financial markets. As the company moves further along its journey into a Cloud-based infrastructure environment and leveraging of modern Infrastructure as Code practices, we are looking for engineers seeking highly complex and challenging work that will have true ripple effects across an industry.
As the manager of the Cloud Engineering team, you will lead and manage a team of highly technical team members and perform a range of activities required to both maintain and continuously automate a large, complex cloud-based computing environment. In addition, you will provide technical guidance to the team and, when called upon, serve as a technical liaison between internal departments.
This will involve utilizing best practices for the management, architecture, configuration, high availability, disaster recovery, administration, and automation of the enterprise environment with cloud technologies. These activities will drive the creation of new infrastructure and environments, which will be critical to continued growth and adoption of broad cloud/automation goals across the business.
The ideal candidate is a player-coach, passionate about new technologies and leading technical teams to accomplish complex project initiatives and implement mission critical systems, while keeping current with trends in the Cloud and Infrastructure spaces for areas to improve, with a steady eye towards the extensive regulatory/compliance demands on our company (e.g. CIS, NIST, etc).
- Reports to the Executive Director of Platform Automation and Cloud Engineering.
- Design, configure, implement and support a fully automated workflow for provisioning and maintaining a complex, highly available cloud environment using infrastructure as code
- Develop and maintain a library of deployable, tested, and documented automation design scripts, processes, and procedures for deploying services to the cloud
- Enable DevOps development activities and complex development tasks that will involve working with tools such as Docker, Kafka and container management systems.
- Lead and participate in cloud computing environment build-outs, software installation, maintenance and support, including but not limited to, patches, fixes, end-of-life preparation, and upgrades.
- Ensure the reliability of the services your area of responsibility provide and manage to both specific and implied SLAs to help the organization achieve both internal and external quality standard excellence for the cloud platform.
- Assess and plan for capacity needs within the cloud platform and forecast accordingly.
- Implement and manage initiatives within your assigned area of responsibility with accountability for results and compliance with all controls and security requirements.
- Assist in the development of technology roadmaps and end-of-life technology plans.
- Effectively communicate project and operational service issues to management promptly with observations, decisions, and recommendations for corrective measures.
- Meet with team members regularly and provide coaching and feedback on performance; Perform evaluations and deal effectively with staff problems and corrective actions as needed.
- Develop employee career development plans to assist with team member career growth and development. Provide coaching and feedback as needed to ensure a high performing team
- Manage and participate in the implementation of production changes during defined maintenance windows and support on call rotation; Ensure appropriate work/personal balance is maintained within your team.
- Serve as a point of escalation within the team for support issues. Implement and manage rotational support schedules for afterhours and weekend work for area of responsibility.
- Foster an atmosphere of trust, respect, and high performance while displaying strong ethics and integrity.
- Lead team meetings; Manage project and daily work task planning and prioritization and meeting project deadlines while also maintaining a high quality of work
- Ensure team compliance with all appropriate OCC policies and procedures. Institutes corrective actions to address audit and other regulatory or compliance findings.
- Operate within budget; Establish and assure adherence to schedules, work plans, and performance requirements.
- Write and maintain documentation of relevant systems, procedures and processes.
- Other duties as assigned.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Strong consultative, communication, team player and analytical skills are a must, as you will be regularly interacting between various teams which are distributed across the US.
- Strong technical team leadership and technical project management skills are required
- Relevant experience leading highly technical team members through adopting new technologies while also maintaining highly available, mission critical systems with a proven track record of success
- Ability to clearly communicate verbally and in writing to business and technology leaders, architects, developers, and team members
- Must be able to collaborate effectively with a group of high performing, technical individuals.
- Experience managing work tasks using Agile methodology / scrum desired
- Competent in all phases of application development and implementation, including SDLC; Hands-on experience scripting/development skills in Python, Ruby, Go, Java, etc. in a corporate environment strongly desired
- Solid working knowledge of infrastructure design and components, such as servers, operating systems, networks, and storage
- Hands-on experience with: Terraform, Kubernetes, Jenkins, Kafka, Github, and configuration management tools such as Puppet, Chef, or Ansible
- Experience with architecting, implementing and maintaining highly available mission critical environments for 24x7 availability
- Experience working in an environment with a defined production change control process; experience with working with audits and compliance or in a regulated environment a plus
- Relevant experience with configuration and implementation of IaaS, Infrastructure as code, AWS, Azure, etc.
- Demonstrated history of working within deadlines and ability to work well under pressure
- Experience working in a financial services or highly regulated environment preferred
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a technical discipline (Computer Science, Mathematics, etc.), or equivalent combination of education and experience required
- 7 or more years experience in IT systems installation, operations, administration, and maintenance of cloud systems / virtualized servers
- AWS Solutions Architect Associate Certification or higher strongly desired; Relevant industry certifications such as Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud are a plus