The Manager of Clinical Documentation Improvement provides oversight of the Clinical Documentation Improvement program and team. This role is an opportunity to establish and build the department along with the leadership team. You will provide guidance and training for key stake holders system wide at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. You will be able to use your clinical, coding and reimbursement expertise as the CDI subject matter expert. This a highly impactful and visible role that serves in a management, educational, and advisory capacity to the Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialists, Coding staff, clinical staff, and physicians as relates to documentation integrity. Works effectively with the Director, Coding and Clinical Documentation to increase and improve clinical documentation in the medical record in inpatient and/or ambulatory settings.
- Graduate of approved Health Information Technology or Health Information Management or accredited Nursing program
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or eligible, Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or eligible, Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), Certified Coding Specialist- Physician-based (CCS-P), or Licensure as a Registered Nurse in the single State of Georgia or Multi-State through the Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact
- 8 years of experience in acute care with recent management or supervisory experience
- Certified Clinical Documentation Specialist (CCDS) and/or Certified Documentation Improvement Practitioner (CDIP)
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES*
- Demonstrated track record of success in hospital documentation improvement and physician education
- Advanced clinical expertise and extensive knowledge of complex disease processes in an acute healthcare setting
- Strong knowledge base in clinical documentation best practices and methodologies in all healthcare settings and for all healthcare disciplines
- Strong knowledge of the conventions, rules, and guidelines for multiple classification systems, including ICD-10 procedure coding system
- Knowledge of multiple reimbursement systems (e.g., Medicare severity-diagnosis related group, all patient refined diagnosis-related group, and ambulatory payment classification)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Strong knowledge of electronic health records and computer-assisted coding/clinical documentation improvement encoder products
- Manages the daily operations of the Clinical Documentation Improvement program to promote steady work flow and data integrity.
- Conducts regular program audits and monitors Clinical Documentation Improvement staff accuracy, productivity, query responses, and follow-up.
- Provides feedback and assists in coordinating and/or facilitating focused educational programs regarding Clinical Documentation Improvement program objectives and best practices for documentation improvement to Clinical Documentation Improvement staff, Coding staff, and clinicians as needed.
- Identifies and implements Clinical Documentation Improvement process improvement initiatives to enhance case mix, clinical quality, reimbursement, and program ROI.
- Prepares and submits weekly/monthly Clinical Documentation Improvement program status reports to the Director, Coding and Clinical Documentation and senior leadership as requested.
- Works with Coding leadership team to provide Coding and Clinical Documentation Improvement staff with annual documentation updates.
- Coordinates with Information Systems & Technology to ensure appropriate and timely system updates and enhancements.
- Responsible for all aspects of managing and leading a team including: interviewing, hiring, training, developing, directing work and processes, managing performance, recognizing, and rewarding employees.
- Mentor team members to encourage personal and professional growth.
- Encourage ongoing skill development by providing opportunities for continued education.
Safety: Practices proper safety techniques in accordance with hospital and departmental policies and procedures. Responsible for the reporting of employee/patient/visitor injuries or accidents, or other safety issues to the supervisor and in the occurrence notification system.
Compliance: Monitors and ensures compliance with all regulatory requirements, organizational standards, and policies and procedures related to area of responsibility. Identifies potential risk areas within area of responsibility and supports problem resolution process. Maintains records of compliance activities and reports compliance activities to the Compliance Office.
Requisition #: 28230