The Manager, Client Development Programs and Training will play an important role within the Client Development & Practice Management (CD&PM) Department focused primarily on: 1) developing and supporting the firm?s Client Service Initiative, which includes the firm?s client team, leadership visit, and client feedback programs; 2) building and managing a comprehensive, firm wide lawyer business development training program; 3) developing and supporting various strategic business development initiatives and planning programs; and 4) managing firm wide special projects.
This position works closely with the Director of Client Development Programs and Training, other members of the broader CD&PM team, senior leadership including the firm?s Business Development & Acceptance Committee, Practice Group Leaders, and key client partners to assist in designing strategies and delivering programs that broaden and enrich client relationships across the firm.
Our people are the key to our success, and that is why we recruit and retain the most talented individuals in all parts of our firm. This is your opportunity to have an impact by making meaningful contributions to advance client development initiatives at a firm known for its entrepreneurial spirit, collegial culture, and focus on clients.
Client Service Initiative:
- Work with the Director to support the firm?s Client Service Program, including enhancing the firm?s client team and client feedback programs. Assist in identifying and implementing tactics to strengthen the firm?s most important client relationships, including developing and marketing value-added services.
- Provide leadership in helping to organize and support the firm?s client team structure and client account planning efforts. Collaborate with lead lawyers and other firm resources to ensure the appropriate strategies and objectives are in place for ensuring client care and growth.
- Plan and facilitate client team meetings in order to share information, instill best practices, and align client needs to firm offerings. In conjunction with key lawyers, develop and execute on client account plans which surface new business opportunities and drive revenue growth. Track opportunities and provide support in pursuit. Consult on both formal and informal pitch opportunities, and help to prepare team for pitch presentations.
- Promote a culture emphasizing the importance of gathering and acting on client feedback. Provide direction and support for related initiatives, including formal programs, routine relationship reviews, post-matter or post-pitch debriefs, or similar mechanisms aimed at soliciting client feedback. Coordinate with outside vendors in support of these efforts as required.
- Conduct market research, business intelligence, and competitive intelligence data analysis and research, including utilizing the firm?s Client Relationship Management (CRM) system and financial platform, to aid in the formulation of client specific business development strategies and priorities.
- Liaise with Research Services, the Finance Department, and other groups to create competitive intelligence reports in preparation of leadership/chair visits to key clients. Help to analyze the client relationship, matters worked, billing arrangement, pitch history, industry landscape, market information, etc. and convey salient points to senior lawyers. Maintain and track leadership/chair visit schedule and support in follow-up activities.
- Track and report on client service/client team activities to facilitate ROI analysis and to gauge the effectiveness of the Client Service Program. Help to develop best practices and find innovative ways to share those across the firm.
- Work with the Director to develop strategies for incorporating the client service initiative into firm wide strategic goals and business plans.
- Help to develop the infrastructure, policies, materials, and processes to support the program. Manage the day-to-day aspects of the program.
Business Development Training Program:
- Work with the leaders of the CD&PM Department and the Professional Development Department to support the firm wide lawyer business development training program.
- Help to identify objectives, shape the curriculum, and oversee development of the materials and guides appropriate to the relevant attorney populations. Bring creative ideas and approaches to the content and delivery, in order to maximize engagement.
- Identify external consultants and internal lawyers and professional staff to conduct business development training. Serve as a trainer/coach, where appropriate.
- Monitor effectiveness of the business development training program and gather feedback on areas for improvement.
Strategic Planning Program:
- Work with senior members of the CD&PM Department to develop and support various strategic business development planning programs and initiatives.
- Create tools, training, templates, and best practices to aid in the creation of the firm?s strategic plans, and provide guidance to practices, industries, and individuals on creating their own business development plans.
- Serve as a liaison to client teams, CD&PM team members, practice and industry group leaders, and individual lawyers to help answer questions and provide direction on various marketing and business development initiatives.
- Provide research and competitive intelligence analysis to assist in educating attorneys about potential and existing clients, competitors and potential business, and business development planning. Work with Accounting & Finance, Conflicts, and Library/Research Services Departments to develop key reports that are beneficial to overall firm marketing and business development initiatives.
- Contribute to pitches, proposals, and RFPs for value-added offerings and content related to the firm?s client development activities, or as aligned to specific client team assignments.
- Help to build the infrastructure to track and measure progress and new business won.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Shows initiative and resourcefulness in helping to identify, develop, and implement new initiatives, or in the completion of large-scale strategic projects.
- Thinks commercially, is able to understand business issues, and assists in identifying opportunities to strengthen and broaden client relationships.
- Builds strong relationships with lawyers at all levels, gain an understanding of their practice and client profiles, and act with confidence to coach them on client development approaches and best practices.
- Communicates clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing with internal and external contacts. Strong editing and proofreading skills are essential.
- Provides the highest quality client service to both internal and external contacts. Demonstrates patience, creativity, and discretion.
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic self-starter with the ability to work independently when required, and lead in collaborative, effective teams as needed to accomplish objectives.
- Exhibits exceptional attention to detail and organization, with strong project management skills. Ability to identify priorities and adjust while working in a dynamic and complex environment.
- Ability to make compelling presentations to groups of all sizes.
- Ability to apply technical knowledge or guidance, analyze and interpret data from several sources, solve problems by applying precedent, or extrapolating from previous experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, etc. to produce quality written communications such as memos, spreadsheets, slides, and other work products; knowledge of other page and document design programs beneficial.
- Familiarity with research tools such as LexisNexis, Dun & Bradstreet, Hoover?s Online, etc., and how to utilize these and other resources to develop and analyze client and competitor information.
The position requires a Bachelor?s Degree. A JD, MBA, or other related advanced degree may substitute for requiredexperience.
The position requires a minimum of six (6) years of increasingly responsible, directly related experience during which the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities applicable to the position were attained.
Direct experience in a law firm or professional services environment in any professional capacity is preferred.